When it comes to environmental law, you need a team with an in-depth understanding of the business, regulatory and litigation issues that often arise in environmental claims. The Gowling WLG Environmental Litigation Group delivers on all counts.
Recognized by clients and peers for our leadership, we handle a broad range of environmental concerns with an approach that's direct, practical and efficient. You'll receive advice based on experience and highly specialized knowledge, and solutions that are timely and effective.
Working as a team, we know that our success depends on your success. We align our interests with yours to understand the needs of your industry and your business, and have the expertise to deliver specialized advice on the commercial, regulatory and litigation issues that often arise in environmental claims.
Understanding that one size does not fit all, our legal teams are carefully crafted and incorporate professionals from a range of relevant backgrounds, including lawyers with technical expertise. Working in partnership with your external advisers as required, we're devoted to finding creative, efficient solutions to your important challenges so that you can achieve success.
Our lawyers regularly act as counsel in regulatory and civil matters, including appearing at all levels of court across Canada and representing our clients through alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation or arbitration. We've experienced the full gamut of environmental claims, including the prosecution and defence of claims pertaining to:
- Migration of contamination on to, or off of, property
- Contamination caused by leakage from old, defective or improperly installed or removed tanks
- Contamination caused by negligent removal of hazardous materials
- Professional negligence on the part of environmental consultants or businesses engaged in the handling of hazardous materials
- Personal injury or occupational health claims
We're also skilled in the economics of environmental litigation, including:
- Quantifying damages (including economic losses)
- Quantifying diminishment in land value
- Negotiating and drafting complex commercial, real estate and related agreements to implement business solutions to environmental claims
- Negotiating and drafting complex multi-party settlement agreements, including indemnities
Top-ranked by clients and peers
The market consistently recognizes Gowling WLG's position as a leader in environmental litigation. Our environmental group is frequently ranked by clients and peers among the very best in Canada in prestigious guides from Chambers, Lexpert, and Best Lawyers.
Practical, cost-effective solutions
We provide cost-certainty and case management services through Practical LPM™, our legal project management tool that helps keep your matters on track, on time and on budget. We also reduce costs and provide timely service through the assistance of Go.Plead™, our extensive legal research and precedents program.
To learn more about how we can help you succeed, please contact any member of our team.