Our global team of experienced legal professionals delivers hands-on legal and strategic guidance in all aspects of nuclear power operations at every stage — from project development and financing to regulatory affairs.
We provide trusted counsel on operating facility compliance, dispute resolution, waste management and decommissioning, and act for a wide range of clients, including providers of equipment, materials and services to the nuclear industry.
Members of our team have helped both public- and private-sector organizations implement major nuclear energy initiatives with exemplary results. We acted on the first private-sector acquisition of a nuclear power plant in Canadian history, and have been actively involved in the day-to-day legal and regulatory issues encountered by the world’s largest nuclear power facility. Gowling WLG also acted as counsel in the complex negotiations related to the restart and refurbishment of four units at the facility.
Our clients benefit from our international network of relationships, as well as our in-depth understanding of the nuclear industry. Our areas of expertise include:
- Construction and refurbishment
- Corporate governance
- Dispute resolution and arbitration
- Environmental assessments
- Equipment supply
- Fuel supply contracts
- Import/export of materials and equipment
- National codes and standards
- Nuclear power purchase agreements
- Policy and legislative development
- Procurement and project structuring
- Project finance
- Public-private partnerships (PPPs)
- Regulatory development and compliance
- Risk evaluation and mitigation
- Strategic planning
- Venture and transaction structuring
To learn more about how we can help your nuclear project succeed, please contact Ahab Abdel-Aziz, Robert Armour, Paul Murphy or any member of our team.