Gowling WLG Partner and Head of Natural Resources Charles Bond and Public Law and Regulation Partner Kieran Laird recently joined 121 Mining Investment Online to discuss the latest market trends and developments for the sector.
In conversation with senior investors from institutional funds, private equity groups, family offices and sector analysts, as well as top tier mining company management teams in the world's leading financial hubs, our lawyers discuss mining investment portfolio strategies, working through COVID-19, ESG risks and opportunities, and more. Access the videos in full below.
Portfolio strategies, COVID-19 and the mining development cycle
Along with market leading investors and developers Charles chaired and moderated 121 Mining Investment's panel on 'Portfolio strategies, working through COVID-19 and anticipating the next phase of the mining development cycle', exploring:
- How do investors see risk and reward at this point in the market?
- Identifying value beyond market benchmarks - which types of company could prove attractive and beat markets to recovery?
- Key company metrics when considering when to invest
- How can juniors access the widest range of investors in a new climate for cleaner and socially conscious businesses?
- Motivations and risks for juniors of listing vs taking a private route
ESG risks and opportunities for mining investors
Meanwhile, Kieran joined the 'Investor panel: ESG risks and opportunities for mining companies and investors', discussing:
- Environmental, social and governance best practices are no longer niche - how can mining turn a corner to attract new sources of capital and co investment from ESG mandated funds?
- How could a global pandemic and financial markets fall out change corporate and investor mindsets towards ESG
- How can miners justify their position in a portfolio: clearer social purpose; human rights due diligence; provenance; minimising environmental impacts
- Where do ESG indices and funds get the data they base their investment decisions on? Issues with multiplication of standards
- Could ESG risk become commoditised and how can industry safeguard against that?
- How can mining better communicate its societal benefits? Is the promise of decarbonisation and a tremendous infrastructure rebuild the story mining should latch onto?
Expertise around the World
From initial exploration to large production projects, Gowling WLG's Global Mining Group has the in-depth industry experience and the international connections to help your mining projects succeed.
Our clients include multinational corporations, private and public companies, governments, international banks, state-owned enterprises, hedge funds, investment funds and other financial institutions, as well as high net-worth individuals with global investments.
Speak to a member of the team to find out how Gowling WLG can support your international projects.
Connect with Gowling WLG and keep up-to-date with the latest from the Natural Resources and Mining sectors. Sign up to receive our updates on the market trends and developments that matter to you most.