What is it really like to be the UK Supreme Court's leading decision maker, interpreting some of the most important intellectual property cases of recent times?
In the latest podcast in our 'In Conversation with Gowling WLG' series, global IP partner Ron Dimock speaks to the Right Honourable Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, former President of the United Kingdom Supreme Court.
In this episode, we delve deep into the world of patents law, exploring some of the most important decisions in international IP, and the difficulties and privileges of interpreting some of the sectors most important cases. We explore:
- Lord Neuberger's career from Oxford University science grad to private practice lawyer, his admittance to the Bar, and subsequent surge up the judicial ranks to President of the UK Supreme Court;
- Patents judgement, hearing IP and patent cases, and the unique challenges of trying intellectual property claims;
- Complex, precedent setting cases from Lord Neuberger's career, including Catnic Components Ltd. v. Hill & Smith Ltd., Kirin-Amgen Inc. v Hoechst Marion Roussel Ltd, and Actavis v Eli Lilly, and their impact on the approach to infringement;
- The interpretation of patents, the European Patent convention and the introduction of the doctrine of equivalents;
- The key developing patent issues to be litigated in the foreseeable future, the impact of COVID-19 on future IP cases, and the demanding nature of internationalising consistent laws across countries; and
- Much more.
Our 'In Conversation' series delves into the world of intellectual property, speaking with leading figures in industry. Throughout the series, we build a picture of how the IP world works, gathering insight into the latest trends and developments.
Missed the earlier episodes? Listen to:
Register for updates from our Intellectual Property team to receive the series direct to your inbox, as well as the latest market insights from Gowling WLG's leading IP professionals.
Register for updates from our intellectual property team to receive the series direct to your inbox, as well as the latest market insights from Gowling WLG's leading IP professionals.
Lifecycle of a Smart Idea - webinar series
Register now for our 'Lifecycle of a Smart Idea' live webinar series. Offering a fresh look at the field of intellectual property, our international IP team trace the options and steps that occur over the lifetime of a "smart idea" - from the laboratory or the "eureka moment," to the branding, promotion, exploitation and beyond.