From early rock 'n' roll dreams, to headlining intellectual property on the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
In the latest podcast in our 'In Conversation with Gowling WLG' series, global IP partner Ron Dimock speaks to Randall Rader, former Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and longstanding career IP litigator and patents judge.
What is the real value of IP for new inventions? And, how is the US handling cutting edge patent cases compared to other countries? In this episode, we explore these question and more, including:
- Rock 'n Roll, Rolling Stone cover ambitions with 'Paul Revere and the Raiders', to headlining the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit for over 25 years;
- Randall's time as the Chief Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, at the sharp end of IP and patent litigation, before retiring from the bench in 2014;
- solving patent law problems, harmonising, and putting proper value on IP for every invention;
- the 'sledgehammer' vs. the 'scalpel', and how the US is 'out of step' with the rest of the world on patent issues;
- founding the Rader Group, and focussing on arbitration, mitigation, mediation and legal consulting; and
- Patents as a 'pacemaker' and the complexities of trying patent infringement cases and dispute resolution.
Our 'In Conversation' series delves into the world of intellectual property, speaking with leading figures in industry. Throughout the series, we build a picture of how the IP world works, gathering insight into the latest trends and developments.
Missed the earlier episodes? Listen to:
Register for updates from our Intellectual Property team to receive the series direct to your inbox, as well as the latest market insights from Gowling WLG's leading IP professionals.
Register for updates from our intellectual property team to receive the series direct to your inbox, as well as the latest market insights from Gowling WLG's leading IP professionals.
Gowling WLG Annual Patents Review
Our highly anticipated annual review of UK patent judgments is available now!
'Swings and Roundabouts', Gordon Harris' comprehensive annual review of patent case law, is your complete guide to the most important, industry-influencing UK patent judgments in 2020.
Gordon offers his expert view on the biggest decisions of 2020, as well as noting trends and the cases to watch out for in 2021.
Download our 'Swings and Roundabouts' Annual Patent Review report.