Gowlings finished 2014 as Canada’s busiest M&A law firm, according to the results of Thomson Reuters’ Mergers & Acquisitions Review: Legal Advisors – Full Year 2014 guide and additional reports, released earlier this month.
As the No. 1 Canadian law firm for global M&A based on announced transactions, Gowlings advised on more deals worldwide than any other Canadian law firm, and was the only Canadian firm listed among the world's top-25 M&A firms for volume of announced global deals.
For the third year in a row, Gowlings was also the world’s top legal adviser for Canadian M&A, advising on more announced and completed Canadian deals than any other law firm globally.
In addition, Gowlings was ranked the No. 1 Canadian law firm for mid-market1 and small-cap2 M&A transactions worldwide, and appeared in the mid-market and small-cap league table rankings for the U.K., Latin America, Eastern Europe and Australia/New Zealand.
Some of the firm's noteworthy clients and transactions in 2014 include:
- State Farm in the acquisition by Desjardins Group of State Farm Canada's businesses in property and casualty and life insurance, as well as its Canadian mutual fund, loan and living benefits companies
- Sterigenics, a portfolio company of GTCR, in its US$826-million cross-border acquisition of Nordion Inc.
- Westmoreland Coal Company in its $465-million acquisition of Sherritt International Corporation’s Prairie and Mountain coal mining operations
- Bruce Power L.P. in the $450-million acquisition by BPC Generation Infrastructure Trust, an affiliate of Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc., of the direct and indirect interest of Cameco Corporation in Bruce Power
- Fiera Axium Infrastructure Canada II L.P. and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in their acquisition and financing of a 100% equity interest in eight solar voltaic projects from Recurrent Energy
- Crescent Point Energy Corp. in its acquisition of assets from Polar Star Canadian Oil and Gas Inc. for a total consideration of approximately $334 million
With over 150 corporate finance and M&A lawyers across Canada and in the U.K., Gowlings delivers strategic legal advice to an international clientele across all major industry sectors. Working with companies at all stages of development, Gowlings professionals offer top-tier M&A expertise, along with an unwavering commitment to service, diligence and getting the best deal done.
To seamlessly support its transaction-based work, Gowlings also provides comprehensive services in all aspects of business law, advocacy and intellectual property law.
1 Deals valued at up to US$500 million
2 Deals valued at up to US$50 million