Alex Wrixon is a principal associate in the Commercial Litigation group, based in London. He has a broad commercial litigation practice, as well as a particular focus on both contentious and non-contentious insurance matters and advising in relation to litigation funding.
Alex represents a broad range of clients, based in both the UK and internationally, including private individuals, SMEs and multinational corporations, across a wide range of sectors, including insurance, real estate, rail, energy and electronics. Alex is a member of the Gowling WLG Switzerland desk, having had previous experience living and working in the country.
Benefiting from a previous career as a facultative reinsurance broker, Alex is well versed in the placement of commercial insurance and the often numerous different relationships that it necessitates.
Alex also acts for clients in relation to litigation funding, advising both funders and prospective claimants on all aspects of funding documentation, including the negotiation of appropriate ATE insurance cover.
Alex tries to bridge the gap between the legal aspects of a dispute and the day-today commercial realities of clients' businesses, with a view to resolving disputes in the most timely and cost-efficient manner, whether through litigation, arbitration, expert determination or ADR.
In the event that formal proceedings are required, Alex has considerable experience in supporting clients throughout the process, whether before the English Courts, international arbitral tribunals or expert determination to secure their desired objective.
- Acting for multiple defendants in successfully defending a high-profile and multi-faceted claim (seeking damages in excess of £100 million) including allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, conspiracy, unlawful interference with economic interests, intimidation and blackmail.
- Acting for various UK-based and international organisations in relation to contractual disputes (including in relation to contractual interpretation and termination provisions).
- Acting for the JV operator of an offshore wind farm in relation to an insurance claim in excess of £30 million relating to damaged cables and switchgear.
- Acting for multiple property developer defendants in successfully defending a claim for [HUB]
- Acting in a dispute brought by West Ham United against the public entity owners and operators of the Olympic Stadium, which received significant media interest and political interest due to the implications of taxpayer funding being involved.
- Acting for a transport manufacturer in relation to a CA$6 billion dispute, whilst based in Toronto for six-month secondment.
- Working with the Government Legal Department on a six-month secondment at a high-profile public enquiry.
- Acting for a tech start-up in relation to a contractual dispute relating to the refurbishment of mobile telephones.
- Acting for a large energy client in relation to a an insurance dispute arising out of a client's involvement as a core participant in a high-profile public enquiry.
- Acting for a high net worth client in relation to a dispute regarding sporting events hindered by COVID-19.
- Acting for a Brazilian client in relation to a dispute regarding alleged fraud arising out of the Carwash scandal.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in relation to a claim regarding two classic car worth in excess of £20 million.