Clive Chalkley is a partner who enables clients to manage their property disputes to achieve a commercial advantage. Clive specialises in providing commercial, practical and innovative solutions to difficult property disputes, saving his clients time and money.
Property is a complicated and technical area of law. Clients need an adviser who is an expert in the field, but who can explain even the most complex matter in simple terms. Clive's straightforward approach enables clients to understand the issues and take control of their disputes.
Property is essential to all of our business needs, yet the law that governs it is complex and at times counter-intuitive. One of Clive's main strengths is to take the complex legal principles and present them in plain English, within a clear commercial context. This maximises clients' control over the conduct of any disputes and the management of their property assets.
Clive is an expert in finding innovative solutions to difficult property disputes and devising new strategies for achieving his clients' aims. This reputation has led him to be noted in Legal 500 for his "off the wall creativity".
The vast majority of the disputes Clive handles settle without the need for litigation. But if it comes to it, Clive has extensive court experience and is known for the strength of his tactical analysis.
Clive acted for House of Fraser in the ground-breaking case of K/S Victoria Street v House of Fraser (Stores Management) Limited & others in both the High Court and the Court of Appeal. The case redefined the law on the giving of guarantees, in the context of a landlord and tenant relationship. It was a very complicated case, requiring innovative legal thinking and superb tactical decision making.
Developers, including Bracknell Regeneration LP, Development Securities, Sainsbury's and Goldcrest. Investor landlords, including National Farmers Union Mutual, The Crown Estate Commissioners, Universities Superannuation Scheme and Lendlease, occupiers, including House of Fraser and Whitbread and telecoms operators.
- Extensive High Court and Court of Appeal experience over dozens of cases, including some of the most important property cases of the decade.
- Considerable experience on rent review arbitration/expert determination. Won a series of legal points for an occupier, saving them substantial sums on the review.
- Working on some of the most important telecoms cases including the Court of Appeal case of Bridgewater Canal Company v Geo Networks. Clive has extensive experience of the Telecoms Code.
- Regularly advising developers on complex overage issues.
- Expert in obtaining vacant possession of premises. Clive has recently obtained vacant possession for a large retail developer of a multi-let office building.
- Work on substantial CPO enquiries.
- Offering day-to-day expertise on all aspects of landlord and tenant disputes.