Daniel Wood is one of 13 partners in our UK construction and engineering team, a "hugely respected group" with "an impressive client list" (Chambers & Partners), which "handles disputes at the highest level" (Legal 500). Dan spends his time helping clients to pursue or defend claims and - where necessary - to resolve their disputes. He represents public and private sector developers, contractors and consultants involved in major infrastructure projects - typically on energy, petrochemical, process and civil engineering schemes - in the UK and overseas.
Dan helps his clients - often during project delivery - to evaluate and understand their true position in respect of claims made or received, providing no-nonsense advice on prospects, likely exposure and associated risk management. If disputes do arise, then Dan advises on the most cost-effective method of resolving them. In recent years Dan has acted on a number of the largest and most complex disputes to have arisen in the UK and beyond, including matters before the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, and also in international arbitration and adjudication.
Dan is well-versed in all of the standard forms of contract and spends much of his time dealing with contracts based on NEC, FIDIC, IChemE, LOGIC and JCT forms.
Dan helps his clients to quickly see the most appropriate and direct way to resolve difficult issues, freeing them up to concentrate on what they do best. The directories note that clients regard him as "excellent", "perceptive" and a "key player" in the firm's leading energy and natural resources practice (Legal 500).
Dan is a member of the Technology and Construction Solicitors Association (TECSA), the Society of Construction Law (SCL) and the International Nuclear Law Association (INLA).
- Offshore wind farm, UK - representing E.ON Climate & Renewables in connection with a significant claim arising out of defects encountered at E.ON's Robin Rigg offshore wind farm. The matter culminated in success before the UK Supreme Court.
- Offshore wind farm, UK - representing an international utility company in a series of disputes, both with its supply chain and project insurers, associated with the on- and offshore transmission assets for a major offshore wind farm.
- Biomass plant, UK - advising a global EPCM contractor in relation to a series of claims, associated with time and monetary overruns, arising in connection with its construction of a major biomass power plant.
- Solar projects, UK - representing a variety of solar developers in connection with issues arising at numerous schemes around the UK, with several resulting in adjudication and arbitration proceedings.
- Energy from waste plant, UK - advising the engineering consultant in connection with allegations of defects in the design of an energy from waste facility.
- Biomass plant, UK - representing a UK developer in connection with claims brought by its contractor, arising out of sub-surface environmental conditions encountered at a biomass project in the UK.
- Diesel-fired power plant, El Salvador - representing the contractor in arbitration proceedings, arising in connection with the design and construction of a diesel power station in El Salvador.
- Coal-fired power plant - representing the main contractor in High Court proceedings, brought by its civil engineering sub-contractor, in connection with environmental improvements to a coal-fired power station in the United Kingdom.
- CCGT plant, UK - representing the global utility company in respect of significant claims brought by its engineering contractor, concerning the design and construction of an oil-fired and combined cycle gas turbine power station in the UK.
- Hinkley Point C - advising an engineering consultant in connection with allegations of defective design associated with the development of Hinkley Point C.
- Nuclear power plant, Eastern Europe - providing, for over 10 years, claims management support and advice to an Eastern European state enterprise, arising out of the decommissioning of a nuclear power plant.
- Nuclear decommissioning scheme - advising a joint venture, comprised of three global engineering and construction companies, in connection with the termination of a £300m nuclear decommissioning project.
Oil and gas
- Oil refinery, UK – representing the EPCM contractor in adjudication and arbitration proceedings, both with the client and with the supply chain, arising out of the design and installation of major environmental improvements at a UK oil refinery.
- Fuel storage facility, UK - representing the engineering contractor in arbitration proceedings brought by its oil major clients, arising out of alleged defects in newly-constructed fuel storage facilities.
- Smelting plant, Middle East - representing the contractor in the pursuit of contractual and insurance claims, arising in connection with its design and construction of a titanium smelting plant in the Middle East.
- Manufacturing facility, UK - advising the facility owner in the defence of claims, brought by its contractor, associated with the time and financial impact of unforeseen ground conditions on a major extension project.
- Wembley Stadium - representing an engineering consultant in litigation proceedings, arising out of allegations of defective work associated with the design and construction of Wembley Stadium.
- Premier League stadium - advising the engineering consultant in connection with the defence of various claims concerning the design and construction of a new stand at a Premier League football club.
- Mass transit system, Middle East - representing the multi-disciplinary consultant in arbitration proceedings arising out of the design and construction of a rapid transit system in the Middle East.
- Airport runway, UK - representing the joint venture civil engineering contractors in conciliation and litigation proceedings, in connection with claims for time and monetary overruns and the defence of defective work allegations, associated with the construction of an additional runway at a major international airport.
- Road scheme, UK - representing a major civil engineering contractor in a series of adjudications, associated with delay, disruption and defective work, arising out of the design and construction of a road scheme in central England.
- Road scheme, UK - advising the engineering consultant in connection with allegations of defective design associated with the premature delamination of road surfacing.
- Airport runway, UK - representing the engineering consultant in the defence of claims relating to allegedly defective overlay works to the main runway at an international airport in the UK.
- Water treatment plant, Oman - advising a multi-national engineering contractor in arbitration proceedings arising out of the design and construction of a substantial waste water treatment facility in Oman.
- Desalination plant, Caribbean - representing a UK contractor in connection with non-payment and allegations of defective work, arising out of a privately financed seawater desalination scheme at a British Overseas Territory in the Caribbean.
- Pharmaceutical facility, UK - representing a multi-national building contractor in connection with claims, up and down the contractual chain, associated with the development of a major pharma R&D facility.
- Court building, UK - representing a major UK main contractor in the pursuit of claims arising out of a project to deliver new court buildings in northern England.
- Residential school, UK - advising a UK charity in the defence of a final account claim by the contractor, associated with the development of a school for children with special educational needs.
- Pier, UK - representing the main contractor in adjudication proceedings in connection with a project to re-build a pier, following its earlier destruction by fire.