An experienced Projects lawyer, Dominic helps clients to win, close out and deliver complex and challenging projects. He has advised Government and private sector clients on major projects in the UK and internationally, and his extensive experience of advising on all aspects of defence and infrastructure projects means that he has a depth of experience to draw upon when helping public bodies negotiate, secure and achieve their outcomes.
Dominic has had a key role on a number of Rail, Road and Airport infrastructure Projects, including advice on the negotiation of long term maintenance and lifecycle agreements, arrangements with funders including reserving mechanisms for long term maintenance and the pass down of liability and performance mechanisms in long-term project contracts. He is listed in four categories in Legal 500 2019: Project Finance and PFI (West Midlands); Infrastructure including PFI and PPP (London); Transport (West Midlands) and Transport - Rail (London).
A303 Stonehenge Tunnel
Adviser to Highways England on a £1.5 billion privately financed DBFM scheme for the construction of a new link road (including a 3km twin bore road tunnel) through the UNESCO World Heritage site at Stonehenge, and on arrangements for the contract to be let as a D&B contract following the cancellation of the PF2 programme.
Bombardier - UK Rolling stock
Advising Bombardier on the variation of contracts relating to the supply of new rolling stock to UK Rail Operators.
Advising Tarmac / Alun Griffiths on its bid (as a construction and operational services provider as part of the FCC consortium) for this £450m road project procured under the Welsh Assembly government's MIM structure.
Gibraltar Diesel Power Station Project
Dominic was lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services S.A on a project for the construction of a diesel power generation plant together with associated fuel supply infrastructure and upgrades to the distribution network. Bouygues were part of a consortium with, as part of a joint venture, IMM S.A and Volker Stevin BV. Negotiation of the joint venture agreement took place over a prolonged period of meetings in Brussels. He then led negotiations with the Government of Gibraltar on the form of contract, involving extensive meetings in Gibraltar, and on commercial agreements with the key supplier (Caterpillar) over a series of meetings held in Paris.
Jim Pattison Outpatient Care and Surgery Centre, Vancouver, Canada.
Dominic was the sole adviser to the main operating contractor on the Surrey Hospital Outpatients Facility in Vancouver, a project that had to be concluded in an extremely tight timescale owing to a funding offer that expired in August 2008. The challenging deadline necessitated the preparation and conclusion of all issues with funders, the procuring authority and project sponsors in an extremely tight period, including a concentrated period of meetings in Vancouver over a two-week period.
He also acted in the same role for the operating contractor for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police British Columbia Headquarters PPP. Dominic was involved from the pre-qualification stage through to the financial close, and on further bids for hospital and prison projects (including dialogue meetings with Canadian Procuring Authorities).
Highways England, Tarmac, Ministry of Defence, Bombardier.
- Adviser to Amey LG on a £235 million, 23 year outsourcing contract for the provision of Highways, Lighting and Environmental Services to Trafford Council.
- Advising British International Helicopters as part of a consortium with AAR Corporation on a contract for the establishment and operation of a new helicopter transport and search and rescue operation for the UK MOD.
- Advising Solihull MBC on the voluntary termination of its PFI Contract (with an Equitix / Parkwood consortium), including negotiation and settlement of compensation on termination with senior lenders and equity holders in the PFI SPV.
- Providing advice to contractors including Wood Group on UK Nuclear, and to Direct Rail Services in relation to UK Rail contracts.
- Dominic has provided advice to London underground on a number of major contracts including competitions to appoint operational service providers, and arrangements with Network Rail relating to major infrastructure improvement programmes.
- Dominic acted as the lead adviser to Amey LG as the main operation & maintenance contractor for a £450 million bond financed project to upgrade the M8 / M73 and M74 motorways in Scotland
Advising to Bombardier on arrangements relating to Infrasig (a joint venture with Carillion to deliver digital signalling projects) following the collapse of Carillion. This included negotiation with Network Rail to restructure existing contracts held by the JV and putting in place subcontract arrangements.
- Dominic advised Cofely Workplace Limited, a division of GDF Suez, on the £45 million NHS Ayrshire & Arran NPD project, relating to the construction of and delivery of services to the new Acute Mental Health & North Ayrshire Community Hospital, procured as part of the Scottish Government's NPD (Non-Profit Distributing) infrastructure programme.
- Advising on the renegotiation of funding agreements with the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development relating to Grandi Stazioni Česká republika s.r.o. as part of the demerger of Grandi Stazioni's Retail operation.
- Dominic advised an Amey led consortium on the financial close of a combined highways and street services PFI, a project with an approximate value of £2 billion. Dominic also continues to provide operational advice to the project company including advice on major variations.
- Dominic has advised the Project Company on three major variations to the Birmingham Street Services Highways PFI (approximate capital value £2.2 billion) and continues to advise on variations and operational issues relating to the delivery of the UK's largest Highway maintenance project.
- Dominic acted as lead adviser to the Worcestershire Hospitals NHS Trust on the Worcester Hospital New Radiotherapy Centre project, a project for the construction and long term operation of the facility procured as a variation to an existing bond financed PFI.
- Acting as Lead adviser to Parkwood Holdings on a bid for the Wyre Forest Leisure DBOM project, involving the construction and long term operation of Leisure Facilities in Kidderminster and Bewdley.
- Advising a Joint Venture between Amec, Atkins and Rolls Royce, on a bid for a £7 billion contract to decommission the UK's estate of Magnox Nuclear Power stations. This included negotiations with the UK Nuclear Decommissioning Authority on the wording and form of site management and operation contracts.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services S.A,. as part of a Joint venture with IMM S.A and Volker Stevin BV on a project for the construction of a diesel power generation plant together with associated fuel supply infrastructure and upgrades to the distribution network. Dominic led negotiations with the Government of Gibraltar on the form of Contract and on the form of Joint Venture Agreement and key sub-contracts.
Acting as lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services Canada, Dominic was involved from the submission of the pre-qualification documents, dialogue with the Authority and at all stages through to financial close of the RCMP Division E Headquarters PPP in Surrey (Vancouver) as part of Bouygues / Bird / HSBC consortium, approximate capital value of the project £200 million.
- Dominic acted as lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services on the establishment of a British Columbia subsidiary and negotiation through to financial close of a Hospital PPP with the Fraser Health Authority (Vancouver), working with extremely tight deadlines required because of a fixed term financing offer.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services Canada on the negotiation of the Surrey Pre-Trial Services Centre PPP (Vancouver), as part of Bouygues / HSBC consortium and one of three shortlisted bidders.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services on the negotiation through to submission of the RFP response for the Surrey Memorial Hospital (Vancouver) PPP, as part of Bouygues / Bird / HSBC consortium