Dominic enables clients to win, close out and deliver complex and challenging projects. His extensive experience includes advising government and private sector clients on major projects in the UK and internationally, he has a depth of knowledge to draw upon to enable his clients negotiate, secure and achieve their outcomes.
Dominic is listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' in Legal 500 2020 for Projects, Energy & Natural Resources, and also listed by Legal 500 2020 in the UK-wide sections for Infrastructure (including PFI and PPP) and Rail. He was also part of the team that won the Partnership Awards 2019: Best Legal Advisor.
Highlights include advising:
Tarmac (Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd) as part of the FCC / Meridiam Consortium on the A465 MIM Road PPP £450m PPP road project procured under the Welsh Assembly government's MIM structure.
Highways England on the A303 Stonehenge Tunnel, a £1.5 billion privately financed DBFM scheme for the construction of a new link road (including a 3km twin bore road tunnel) through the UNESCO World Heritage site at Stonehenge, and on arrangements for the contract to be let as a D&B contract following the cancellation of the PF2 programme.
A UK central government department on the expiry of a major real estate PFI.
Highways England on ongoing management and variations to its DBFO PFIs, including operational support on the M25 DBFO and advice on handback arrangements for nine DBFO PFI projects.
A UK Central Government department on a major restatement of a complex, long term contract for military testing and training services, including a significant modernisation and investment programme, on the variation of a major military ground equipment services contract and on a long lead item contract for a major strategic naval procurement.
Bombardier on the variation of a number of contracts relating to Manufacture and Supply Agreements for new rolling stock being supplied to a number of UK Rail Operators.
CRRC Corporation Inc since 2016 on contracts with London Underground Limited, Guinea Alumina Corporation and on a bid to supply rolling stock to West Midlands Metro, and advising Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co. on the establishment of its UK Technical Innovation centre.
Bouygues Energies & Services on the Gibraltar Diesel Power Station Project, acting as lead adviser on a project for the construction of a diesel power generation plant together with associated fuel supply infrastructure and upgrades to the distribution network.
Highways England, Tarmac, Bombardier, Ministry of Defence, CRRC.
- Advising the London Borough of Barnet on the Brent Cross Thameslink project (a project involving the construction of a new passenger railway station, forming part of the Brent Cross Cricklewood development).
- Advising Midlands Air Ambulance on arrangements for the construction of its new headquarters and operational facility at a site adjacent to RAF Cosford.
- Advising Fly Plymouth on potential arrangements to re-establish aviation at Plymouth City Airport.
- Adviser to Amey LG on a £235 million, 23 year outsourcing contract for the provision of Highways, Lighting and Environmental Services to Trafford Council.
- Acting for Amey LG as the main operation & maintenance contractor for a £450 million bond financed project to upgrade the M8 / M73 and M74 motorways in Scotland
- Advising British International Helicopters as part of a consortium with AAR Corporation on a contract for the establishment and operation of a new helicopter transport and search and rescue operation for the UK MOD.
- Advising Solihull MBC on the voluntary termination of its PFI Contract (with an Equitix / Parkwood consortium), including negotiation and settlement of compensation on termination with senior lenders and equity holders in the PFI SPV.
- Providing advice to contractors including Wood Group on bids for UK Nuclear decommissioning contracts,
- Advising a UK Freight Operating Company on arrangements relating to the renewal of its Track Access Contract with Network Rail.
- Advising Associated British Posts on terms of its Track Access Contracts with Freight users of ABP track assets and maintenance arrangements with Network Rail
- Advising a developer client on the negotiation of arrangements with East West Rail Limited concerning the use of land value capture arrangements to finance the cost of new railway infrastructure
- advising the developer of an inland freight facility on connection agreements for a new rail facility, track access agreements to enable the scheduling and connection of freight services across the main UK network;
- Providing advice to TfL / London Underground Ltd on a number of major contracts including competitions to appoint operational service providers, and arrangements with Network Rail relating to major infrastructure improvement programmes.
- Gautrain providing advice to the Gautrain operator on certain issues relating to the regulatory regime for rolling stock ownership and statutory control.
- Advising Bombardier on arrangements relating to Infrasig (a joint venture with Carillion to deliver digital signalling projects) following the collapse of Carillion. This included negotiation with Network Rail to restructure existing contracts held by the JV and putting in place subcontract arrangements.
- Advising on the renegotiation of funding agreements with the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development relating to Grandi Stazioni Česká republika s.r.o. as part of the demerger of Grandi Stazioni's Retail operation.
- Advising an Amey led consortium on the financial close of the Sheffield Highways PFI, a combined highways and street services PFI with an approximate value of £2 billion. Dominic also continues to provide operational advice to the project company including advice on major variations.
- Advising the PFI project company on three major variations to the Birmingham Street Services Highways PFI (approximate capital value £2.2 billion) and continues to advise on variations and operational issues relating to the delivery of the UK's largest Highway maintenance project.
- Advising Engie on the £45 million NHS Ayrshire & Arran NPD project, relating to the construction of and delivery of services to the new Acute Mental Health & North Ayrshire Community Hospital, procured as part of the Scottish Government's NPD (Non-Profit Distributing) infrastructure programme.
- Lead adviser to the Worcestershire Hospitals NHS Trust on the Worcester Hospital New Radiotherapy Centre project, a project for the construction and long term operation of the facility procured as a variation to an existing bond financed PFI.
- Acting as lead adviser to Parkwood Holdings on a bid for the Wyre Forest Leisure DBOM project, involving the construction and long term operation of Leisure Facilities in Kidderminster and Bewdley.
- Advising a Joint Venture between Amec, Atkins and Rolls Royce, on a bid for a £7 billion contract to decommission the UK's estate of Magnox Nuclear Power stations. This included negotiations with the UK Nuclear Decommissioning Authority on the wording and form of site management and operation contracts.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services Canada on the RCMP Division E Headquarters PPP in Surrey (Vancouver) as part of Bouygues / Bird / HSBC consortium, approximate capital value £200 million.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services on the establishment of a British Columbia subsidiary and negotiation through to financial close of the , Jim Pattison Outpatient Care and Surgery Centre a Hospital PPP in Surrey (Vancouver) Canada.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services Canada on the negotiation of the Surrey Pre-Trial Services Centre PPP (Vancouver), as part of Bouygues / HSBC consortium and one of three shortlisted bidders.
- Lead adviser to Bouygues Energies & Services on the negotiation through to submission of the RFP response for the Surrey Memorial Hospital (Vancouver) PPP, as part of Bouygues / Bird / HSBC consortium
- Advising the developer of a combined residential & commercial development (Barts Square) on the capital stage and long term operational arrangements (including the form of connection agreement and residential and commercial contracts for the supply of heat and cooling) to connect a development to the E.ON operated Citigen district heating network, and on subsequent arrangements relating to the form of construction contract following the insolvency of the network contractor;
- Advising on arrangements to connect the redeveloped Barbican YMCA to the Citigen Network, including the capital works required and long term operational arrangements (including the form of connection agreement and residential and commercial contracts for the supply of heat and cooling;
- Advising a Royal London led development vehicle on agreements with Veolia for the construction and long term operation of a heat network and CHP plant in a mixed used development in Colindale, London, including advice on construction contracts, a long term Energy Supply agreement and arrangements to stipulate the terms on which residential and commercial tenants would be supplied with heat and cover lifecycle costs of the network and plant;
- Advising on arrangements for the connection of a residential development forming part of the Embassy Gardens development in Nine Elms, London to a central district heating network;
- Providing advice to a central government department on a competition to appoint a partner organisation for the establishment and operation of an investment fund.