Duncan M L Murphy
Duncan Murphy is a partner with 25 years' experience of working with some of the top PLC and private house-builders, leading registered providers and landowner clients, on high profile, high value transactions. He is the lead client partner for six of the UK's top 10 housebuilders and his experience and commercial approach mean that he is recognised as the go-to lawyer for industry leading developments.
Duncan enjoys unpicking problematic sites and negotiating solutions that meet the objectives of his clients. Having spent several years in a wider commercial development and investment role, he has in-depth, first-hand knowledge of the practicalities of the sector, which is particularly useful when advising on mixed use schemes.
Duncan is very proud of the long-serving and experienced team he works with. They are able to handle the bigger transactions including portfolio deals, bond issues and due diligence on other house-builders. They also have the resources to be able to grow in knowledge and provide expert customer care in these areas.
Having offices in London and Birmingham, and living in the Midlands, means Duncan is often anywhere in England and Wales. His priority is finding ways to save his clients time and money. He works flexibly with their needs in mind and is on hand to talk things through in person if needed.
- Advised Bloor Homes on high value, and award-winning housing developments, including Manor Farm Fields and Fortesque Fields, Norton St Philip, Somerset.
- Worked with Arsenal Football Club on all property aspects of its £400m redevelopment of Highbury Stadium, including international sales, bulk sales to funds, one of the first major PRS deals in the UK and long-term maintenance, ground rent and service charge structuring.
- Advised Persimmon as part of the joint venture with Bloor Homes to create 2,750 new homes, to triple the size of Towcester.
- Acted for Vistry Homes on a joint venture with Clarion Housing Group on the reassembly of Collingtree Golf Club.
- The author of the Gowling WLG precedents on overages, options and build licence deals.
- Advising Bloor Homes on the acquisition of three major golf courses to build nearly 3,000 new homes. Duncan's team advised on all aspects of the deal to facilitate the building of more than 3,000 homes, but also the creation of communities.
- Advising Bloor on the assembly of a site in West Worcester, buying in property from six land-owning families via equalised option agreement to provide 1,200 hew homes, a new school and playing fields.
Duncan's clients comprise PLC and Private house-builders, registered providers and a few large landowners, including Bloor Homes, Bellway Homes, Persimmon Homes, Countryside Properties, Avant Homes, Lovell Partnerships and Wise Living.