Emma has over 19 years' experience in providing timely, pragmatic and cost effective advice to her clients on resolving and managing high value and high profile corporate and commercial disputes, including breach of contract, tort and negligence claims.
Alongside general commercial disputes, Emma's practice also focusses on the following areas:
Public Sector & Procurement: Emma is part of Gowling WLG's contentious public sector practice. She has acted both for and against public bodies (including central and local Government bodies and agencies) in respect of high profile and high value claims for breach(es) of contract and negligence, as well as matters concerning procurement litigation arising out of the Public Contracts Regulations.
Litigation Finance: Emma also leads the firm's litigation finance practice where she has extensive experience in advising both claimants and funders on complex litigation funding structures and packages, including funding agreements and ATE policies.
ThinkHouse: Emma is also co-chair of ThinkHouse, Gowling WLG's tailored programme for in-house counsel. She is passionate about the programme and in ensuring the delivery of practical know how to ensure in-house lawyers are equipped with the knowledge and skills to enable them to add value to their businesses.
Emma is known for bringing her versatility and experience together in resolving disputes, her relentless drive to meet her clients' requirements and expectations and her desire to provide exceptional client service.
She acts for a broad range of clients ranging from high net worth individuals through to multi-national corporates and across both public and private sectors, including: Retail, Government Contracting and Public, Litigation Finance; Sport; and Food and Beverage.
"Emma helped us achieve an excellent result in difficult circumstances through her focus on the detail of a complicated situation along with her ability to probe and challenge our thinking…."
Deputy CE, Leading Convenience Store
" ... without your diligence and tenacity I am doubtful whether this would have been concluded in the way it was."
Head of Finance, Housing Provider
"Emma Carr is extremely committed and responsible and has shown why she deserved to be elevated to partner a few years ago."
Legal 500, 2020
"Emma is my first port of call whenever I need external support.."
Head of Legal, Government Corporation
"Emma's diligence and tenacity make her the first person we will call on to support any future dispute"
Managing Director, Energy Provider
- Emma successfully resolved a dispute brought by West Ham United Football Club ("WHU") against E20 Stadium LLP and one of its partners, London Legacy Development Corporation (a Mayoral Development Corporation) in relation to the number of seats WHU claimed it was entitled to at the former Olympic Stadium (which serves as WHU's home ground), under the terms of a 99 year Concession Agreement. The case received significant media interest and political interest due to the implications of taxpayer funding being involved and the involvement of a Premier League football club.
- She acted for Philips Electronics UK Limited and Philips Pension Fund in respect of a £300 million claim against Aon Hewitt Limited and Alliance Bernstein Limited, the fund's former investment advisers and investment managers.
- She acted for a public sector client on a multi-million pound negligence claim brought against a magic circle law firm arising out of the drafting of a multi-year contract with a total value of over £200 million.
- She has acted for a Core Participant in the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Emma has defended and raised numerous procurement challenges both for and against a private and public bodies, including an NHS Trust and The Royal Parks.
- She successfully fought a very large civil fraud claim for a consortium of claimant manufacturers involving injunctions and parallel criminal proceedings against multiple defendants, worth in excess of £30 million.
- Emma acted for one of the five biggest housing care providers in the UK as co-defendants with the NHS in a clinical negligence claim worth in excess of £4 million.
- She advised the SFO on a highly confidential matter in respect of the enforcement of a confiscation order worth many millions of pounds to the public purse.
- Emma advised one of the UK's largest Councils on its dispute with a supplier in connection with the termination and exit of a 15 year ICT contract.
- She frequently acts for a number of institutional investors in advising on the feasibility and impact of entering into litigation funding packages with third party funders and insurers. She has also acted for funders in devising complex funding structures.
- Emma has acted on a number of tax negligence cases against former accountants, solicitors and barristers, involving complex non-domiciliary schemes and tax exemptions.