Emma has over 17 years' experience in providing timely and pragmatic advice to her clients on commercial disputes, including breach of warranty, contractual disputes, negligence claims and public procurement challenges.
She is a specialist in litigation finance and has advised numerous claimants and funders on complex funding structures.
Emma is known for bringing her versatility and experience together in resolving disputes, her relentless drive to meet her clients' requirements and her desire to provide exceptional client service.
Emma is a co-chair of ThinkHouse, Gowling WLG's tailored programme for in-house counsel. Emma is responsible for organising and chairing events throughout the year providing useful knowledge and practical tips to equip in-house lawyers with knowledge and skills that add value to their business.
She acts for a broad range of clients ranging from high net worth individuals through to multi-national corporates and across both public and private sectors, including: Retail and Leisure, Government Contracting and Public, and Food and Beverage.
"Emma helped us achieve an excellent result in difficult circumstances through her focus on the detail of a complicated situation along with her ability to probe and challenge our thinking…."
Deputy CE, Leading Convenience Store
" ... without your diligence and tenacity I am doubtful whether this would have been concluded in the way it was."
Head of Finance, Housing Provider
"Emma Carr is extremely committed and responsible and has shown why she deserved to be elevated to partner a few years ago
Legal 500, 2020
"Emma is my first port of call whenever I need external support.."
Head of Legal, Government Corporation
"Emma's diligence and tenacity make her the first person we will call on to support any future dispute"
Managing Director, Energy Provider
- Emma successfully resolved a dispute brought by West Ham United Football Club ("WHU") against E20 Stadium LLP and one of its partners, London Legacy Development Corporation (a Mayoral Development Corporation) in relation to the number of seats WHU claimed it was entitled to at the former Olympic Stadium (which serves as WHU's home ground), under the terms of a 99 year Concession Agreement. The case received significant media interest and political interest due to the implications of taxpayer funding being involved.
- She acted for Philips Electronics UK Limited and Philips Pension Fund in respect of a £300 million claim against Aon Hewitt Limited and Alliance Bernstein Limited, the fund's former investment advisers and investment managers.
- She acts for a public sector client on a multi-million pound negligence claim brought against a magic circle law firm arising out of the drafting of a multi-year contract with a total value of over £200 million.
- She successfully fought a very large civil fraud claim for a consortium of claimant manufacturers involving injunctions and parallel criminal proceedings against multiple defendants, worth in excess of £30 million.
- Emma acted for one of the five biggest housing care providers in the UK as co-defendants with the NHS in a clinical negligence claim worth in excess of £4 million.
- She advised The SFO on a highly confidential matter in respect of the enforcement of a confiscation order worth many millions of pounds to the public purse.
- Emma advised one of the UK's largest Councils on its dispute with a supplier in connection with the termination and exit of a 15 year ICT contract.
- She frequently acts for a number of institutional investors in advising on the feasibility and impact of entering into litigation funding packages with third party funders and insurers.
- Emma has acted on a number of tax negligence cases against former accountants and solicitors, involving complex non-domiciliary schemes.