A partner in Gowling WLG's Toronto office, Faran Umar-Khitab has a very active transactional mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance and commercial law practice. He routinely advises institutional investors, private equity funds, venture capital funds and strategic purchasers on complex investments, acquisitions and dispositions across a number of industries.
He also advises a number of TSX and TSXV-listed issuers on public and private financing transactions, continuous disclosure requirements, commercial agreements, and provides general counsel services to a number of clients.
Faran has considerable experience in the following areas:
- negotiating complex purchase and sale transactions, leading capital markets transactions that include issuances of debt and equity on the TSX and the TSXV
- structuring shareholder and joint venture arrangements
- drafting limited partnership and shareholder agreements
- preparing and filing continuous disclosure documents for a number of public companies, overseeing due diligence teams
- implementing tax reorganizations and negotiating commercial agreements
- secured lending, project financing and restructuring transactions
Faran also advises boards of directors and special committees on corporate governance matters as well as transactional matters.
Faran serves as a mentor to undergraduate students of the University of Toronto's Rotman Commerce program, and actively volunteers at the University of Toronto. In 2016, Faran received an Arbor Award from the University of Toronto for his volunteer contributions.
Faran was recognized as an "Acritas Star" in 2017.
He is also fluent in Hindi and Urdu.