Frank Y. Sur
Frank Sur is a partner of Gowling WLG and is the head of the firm's Corporate Practice Group in Canada.
Frank's practice is focused on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, fund formation and general corporate commercial matters, with an emphasis in technology (software, blockchain, IoT and nanotechnology) and energy (traditional and renewable, including hydrogen, biofuel and solar). He has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions of both public and private companies (plans of arrangement, share acquisitions, take-over bids, reverse take-overs and asset purchase and sales)
- Public offerings, including initial public offerings and private placements
- Fund formation
- Advising on listing and exchange compliance matters
- Advising on corporate governance (including special committee matters) and regulatory compliance matters
- Advising on general commercial agreements, including joint venture agreements
Frank has represented numerous international clients based in Canada, United States, Korea, China, Japan and United Kingdom in various complex cross-border mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships, financings and fund formations.
Externally, Frank is a member of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, American Bar Association, International Association of Korean Lawyers and Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Korea. Internally, Frank is the Head of the Corporate Practice Group (Canada), Co-Head of the Korea Desk, Co-Head of the China Practice Group for the Calgary office and is an active member of the Fintech Group, Hydrogen Group and Cannabis Group. Frank has been recognized in various legal publications over the years - please see Career & Recognition.
Frank's clients often praise his exceptional problem-solving skills, his ability to find pragmatic and creative solutions to legal issues, and the boundless energy and enthusiasm with which he approaches his legal work.