Jason is a partner in our commercial litigation team in London. He focuses complex multijurisdictional fraud and asset recovery investigations, and has particular experience advising on contentious insolvency and bankruptcy matters. He also advises on litigation funding arrangements.
Jason has been involved in several high profile fraud matters over the last 16 years working for English and foreign office-holders, as well as boards, secured and unsecured creditors and other stakeholders.
Jason's recent experience includes acting for Transworld Payment Solutions Limited (in liquidation) and its liquidator in connection with a £280+ million claim against First Curacao International Bank and its former director, and acting for the joint liquidators of Hellas Telecommunications (Luxembourg) II in relation to a long running €1+ billion dispute in the Luxembourg courts.
Prior to joining Gowling WLG, Jason acted for the Joint Liquidators of Greensill Limited (a subsidiary of Greensill Capital UK Limited (in administration)) in relation to a $600 million receivables programme. He was advising the Joint Liquidators in relation to claims of $440+ million against several companies in Chapter 11, and leading a team in connection with related investigations.
Legal 500 says:
'Jason Freedman is an excellent litigator, and his hunger and passion to get to the bottom of what has gone on in fraud situations is admirable, and reflects well in evidence that is prepared by him and his team.'
'Jason Freedman is a 'very solid adviser', particularly in relation to allegations of fraud.'
- Obtaining freezing injunctions and bringing proceedings against several individuals on behalf of the joint liquidators of a group of payroll companies.
- Advising the Special Administrator of a Gibraltarian investment fund in relation to claims for dishonest assistance and negligence against a firm of solicitors.
- Acting for the trustees of a Gibraltarian bankruptcy in relation to the investigation and recovery offshore assets.
- Acting for a secured creditor in a contested paragraph 14 appointment of administrators, where there was a pending administration application and an extant winding up petition.
- Advising the liquidators of a Jersey company (previously in administration in England) in relation to disputed administration expenses.
Jason is a member of the R3 Association of Business Recovery Professionals and sits on the R3 Fraud Group.