Jeremy D. Sapers
Jeremy Sapers is a litigation and dispute resolution associate in Gowling WLG's Vancouver office, and a member of the Construction and Infrastructure, Environmental Law, and Commercial Litigation groups. He is called to the bar in British Columbia and Alberta, and has represented clients before the Provincial Court of British Columbia, British Columbia Supreme Court, Alberta Court of King's Bench, and Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Jeremy provides practical, timely, creative and concise solutions to complex problems. He assists clients minimize risk and deliver successful projects, and to navigate disputes when they cannot be avoided. Whether negotiating a construction contract or preparing for trial, Jeremy approaches matters through a business lens and his goal is always achieving the best outcome as efficiently as possible.
Jeremy assists clients with a wide-range of disputes and advisory matters, including:
- dispute resolution, including contractual dispute resolution procedures, arbitration (domestic and international), and plaintiff and defence litigation representation;
- claim preparation and analysis, including delay, disruption, deficiency and negligence claims, procurement and tender disputes, builders liens, building defect claims, warranty claims, surety and bond claims, construction insurance, construction insolvency/receivership, professionals' errors and omissions, and municipal permitting and zoning matters;
- Indigenous economic development and construction projects;
- strategic project delivery advice, risk analysis, dispute avoidance, and alternative dispute resolution;
- construction contract negotiation and drafting (including most industry standard form documents);
- real estate and development disputes;
- contaminated sites litigation;
- commercial lease disputes; and
- environmental regulatory prosecution and defence.
Jeremy is an effective advocate and has acted as lead counsel in civil trials and arbitrations, and advised both government and industry clients on administrative and regulatory matters before tribunals.
In his construction practice, Jeremy advises owners, developers, financial institutions, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, consultants (engineers, architects, and contract administrators), and manufacturers. Jeremy's has advised some of Canada's largest developers and contractors on infrastructure and civil works projects including water, energy and highways, commercial developments, residential and mixed-use developments, and shipbuilding.
Prior to joining Gowling WLG, Jeremy worked for a number of government agencies, including the federal Department of Justice, the B.C Ministry of Justice, and the Correctional Service of Canada where he worked with a team of forensic psychologists developing behavioural programs for offenders.