Kam has over a decade of experience advising asset managers, banks, insurers, pension schemes, AIM and FTSE listed companies, global tech companies, venture capital and FinTech firms, and placing agents and intermediaries, on the interpretation and application of complex UK and EU financial services laws and regulation, including FSMA, AIFMD, MiFID, PRIPPS, MAR, SFDR/ Taxonomy, EMIR, PSD, EMR, and crypto.
Kam advises founders, the boards of directors and in-house legal counsel on the structure, launch and administration of financial services-related products and services, primarily in the alternative funds, finance and tech sector.
More recently, Kam has been advising on the regulatory environment for sustainable finance/ESG, crypto/digital assets, blockchain, the metaverse, artificial intelligence, and regulatory divergence following the UK's withdrawal from the EU. Kam also advises on the regulatory aspects of corporate transactions, changes of control notifications, authorisations and variations of permission, and assists firms with their responses to FCA and PRA enquiries.
Kam is a member of the firm's Tech sector team, actively engaged in the technology sector as a whole, and has recently completed a secondment in the payments legal team at Amazon.
Prior to joining Gowling WLG, Kam worked in the credit legal team at Barclays Wealth, where she advised on domestic and cross border credit transactions, product development and strategic bank-wide projects affecting the business.
Recent experience includes advising on:
- the structure, regulation, management, governance and distribution of investment funds
- regulatory issues arising on joint ventures, co-investments, and strategic partnerships
- the temporary permissions regime and getting FCA authorised
- pre-marketing, marketing and reverse solicitation
- financial promotions activity on social media
- all aspects of the market abuse regime
- innovative online credit arrangements, including 'buy now, pay later'
- P2P loan based crowdfunding platforms
- payment services and e-money rules for web, mobile and voice transactions
- outsourcing arrangements and operational resilience
- reporting and disclosure obligations under UK and EU legislation
Kam is a member of several working groups for the pensions and alternative investments industry, and has commented in the media, and written articles, on various aspects of her practice. Recent publications focus on AI, the Consumer Duty, Operational Resilience, the SMCR, Governance, Systems and Controls for Insurers, and Pre-Marketing, Marketing, and Reverse Solicitation under AIFMD.
Kam is recognised as a 'Rising Star' for Financial Services - Non-Contentious Regulatory in Legal 500, 2023.
Kam is passionate about diversity and inclusion, and co-chairs the firm's Thrive Network.