Kam is a London-based principal associate at Gowling WLG.
She advises on funds and financial services regulation, with a particular emphasis on the regulation, management and distribution of alternative investment funds (both listed and unlisted) that invest in a variety of strategies and asset classes (including real estate, debt, equities, infrastructure and technology). Kam has practised in this area since qualification in 2009. She is a member of various working groups for the alternative investment funds industry.
Kam has extensive experience advising a broad range of market participants, including fund managers, family offices, corporates, start-ups, challenger banks, FinTech firms, tech and life-science focused venture capital firms, crowdfunding platforms, placing agents and intermediaries, on compliance with UK and EU regulation. This includes FSMA, AIFMD, EMIR, MiFID II, MAR, PRIIPs, PSD, CCA, AML, POCA and the SMCR.
Kam also advises on the regulatory aspects of corporate transactions, Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) authorisations and variations of permission and assists firms with their response to FCA and PRA enquiries. More recently, Kam has been advising on the regulatory environment for initial coin offerings, blockchain and cryptocurrencies, and the impact of Brexit on financial services.
Kam has experience working in-house at Barclays Wealth, where she advised on domestic and cross border transactions, product development and compliance with new legislative and regulatory requirements.
Kam completed her training contract in the London office of a US firm (O'Melveny & Myers), where her focus was on advising private equity clients. Before this, Kam interned in the securitisation practice of a magic circle firm in Frankfurt.
Recent representative experience includes advising:
- Venture capital firms and fund managers on regulatory issues arising on seed investments, secondary investments and strategic partnerships, including change of control notifications to the FCA and variations of regulatory permissions.
- Fund managers on Brexit planning.
- Banks and fund managers on AML compliance, corporate governance and conflicts management.
- Venture capital firms and fund managers on the FCA's rules on custody and client assets.
- Fund managers on pre-marketing, marketing and reverse solicitation.
- Fund managers on pre-investment disclosures, IMAs, IAAs and ancillary fund documents (depositary, administration, distribution and subscription agreements).
- Banks and fund managers on reporting and disclosure obligations under UK and EU legislation.
- Issuers on all aspects of the market abuse regime.
- Corporates on UK securities law matters in relation to fundraising.
- US and Canadian issuers on fundraising in the UK via ICOs and security token offerings.
- Start-ups, multinational retailers and media conglomerates on payment services and the e-money regime.
- Luxury car companies and retailers on innovative online credit arrangements with customers.