Matt Walker helps clients achieve their real estate goals.
Matt has a wide variety of experience having acted for developers, institutional investors, funders, tenants and even Gowling WLG on its new offices! Having sat on both sides of the fence, Matt uses his knowledge and understanding of the other side's objectives to help unlock thorny issues. He is always seeking to come up with commercial and pragmatic solutions and has experience of leading high value complex transactions.
Matt has a proactive "can do" attitude. His clients can rest assured that, as an extension of their team, they can rely on him to drive their transactions forward, meaning they can spend their time dealing with other things on their desk. Matt takes huge pride in seeing a transaction over the line for his clients.
Matt is an active member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI), which gives him an invaluable opportunity to attend industry wide events and updates (both nationally and internationally). This helps him understand his clients' commercial needs and keep up-to-date with current developments and trends in the wider real estate market.
Matt's recent highlights include:
- acting for a client of Savills IM on the acquisition of 30 Broadwick Street on Soho for £190 million. The Building was recently refurbished and Matt led the Gowling WLG cross-firm team to exchange contracts within just 11 working days;
- acting for Logicor on the letting of a three unit warehouse to XPO, entailing obtaining vacant possession, staged access, planning and subsequent implementation of the same for a 50,000 square foot extension to one of the units, making it Logicor's largest letting to date;
- acting for GCP Student Living Plc on the acquisition and forward funding of Circus Street, Brighton for circa £70 million; and
- acting for Urban Logistics REIT plc on the acquisition of two portfolios of Urban Logistics assets with a combined value of circa £36 million from a single vendor.
St. Modwen Properties PLC, Schroder UK Real Estate Fund, Intu Properties PLC, Prologis UK Limited, Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP (now Gowling WLG), Brockton, Cranford Developments Limited, Goold Estates Limited, Savills Investment Management, Logicor, Urban Logistics REIT PLC, GCP Student Living PLC.
- Acquisition of Bournemouth Airport for the Rigby group of companies.
- Acquisition of two portfolios of properties for Urban Logistics REIT plc for a combined value of £36 million.
- Acquisition and forward funding for GCP Student Living Plc of Circus Street, Brighton.
- Letting of 645,000 square floor warehouse in Tamworth on behalf of Logicor.
- Disposal of Longbridge Shopping Park, Longbridge, Birmingham on behalf of St Modwen for circa £53.6 million.
- Letting of the UK's largest available logistics unit to Clipper Logistics on behalf of Logicor.
- Acquisition and forward funding of Apex House, Wembley for GCP Student Living Plc comprising what is believed to be the world's tallest modular building.
- Acquisition of Midsummer Place, Milton Keynes for c. £250 million, a 50+ unit shopping centre with exchange of contracts taking place 10 working days after receipt of papers.
- Leading the property aspects of the disposal of a high profile industrial portfolio for c. £200 million and the associated refinancing of further properties by the seller.
- Acquisition of Mell Square Shopping Centre, Solihull for c. £45 million.
- Acquisition of a half built shopping centre in West Yorkshire and involvement in the subsequent lettings programme. The centre has over 40 stores, with principal tenants including Sainsbury's and Debenhams.
- Acquisition of a significant retail park in South Yorkshire for c. £23 million.
- Development and sale of a major Midlands retail park for £8.3 million (with pre-lets to McDonald's, Pets at Home, Smyths Toys and DSG Retail).
- Leading the acquisition of a 90+ unit industrial estate for c. £45 million and the acquisition of a further industrial park for c. £35 million.
- Retail developments at various locations around Birmingham and the Midlands, including Longbridge, Walsall and Wellingborough.