Nick advises in relation to all aspects of real estate work, with a particular expertise in complex development and regeneration projects, including major infrastructure projects. He acts for a mix of private developers, public companies and local authorities and has advised on acquisitions, disposals, developments, planning, leasing, financing and the real estate aspects of corporate transactions. Nick's experience of acting for both developers and lenders has given him a deep insight into the differing requirements of the various parties and allows him to identify the issues which may arise.
His broad client base means that he has acted on major city-office developments, sub-urban housing and regeneration projects, logistics centres and hotels. He also acts on major residential development projects. Nick has particular expertise in dealing with complex title issues (such as restrictive covenants and easements) and advising on developments in locations near to transport infrastructure. Among Nick's highlights is his leadership of the Chilmington Green project for Hodson Developments (a 6,000-unit housing development scheme) which led to a nomination for Real Estate Team of the Year.
His clients include major developers (U + I and Quintain), investment funds (Clear Sky Capital, AnaCap Financial Partners and Starwood European Real Estate), debt-funds (BentallGreenOak and ICG Longbow), development and investment managers (Aldgate Developments and Maya Capital) and local authorities (Southend Borough Council, London Borough of Barnet and Wokingham Borough Council).
He also acts on major residential development projects and his clients include Hodson Developments, BlackOnyx, Claremont Finesse and Oakwood Group.
- Advised Aldgate Developments on the sale of their interest in One Braham, London E1 to Union Investments for a purchase price in excess of €500 million. This was the largest single property transaction in Europe in this year.
- Advised the London Borough of Barnet on the acquisition of the Brent South Retail Park for £55 million from Hammerson. The retail park provides income in the short term, but also forms part of the strategic Brent Cross redevelopment.
- Advised AnaCap and Maya Capital on their joint venture acquisition of 160 Blackfriars Road from private equity firm Angelo Gordon for £80 million. The parties propose to refurbish the existing office building and to implement a planning permission to construct a new hotel on part of the property.
- Advising US private equity firm Clear Sky Capital on two Canadian listed funds – Padlock Fund I and Fund II. The funds were established to invest into the UK self-storage market and Nick led the team acquiring a combination of operating businesses, vacant properties for refurbishment and ground-up development opportunities.
- Advising Hodson Developments on development and financing aspects of the Chilmington Green housing project. This is one of the largest active single site housing developments, with 5,750 units being delivered across four phases.
- Advised U+I on its joint venture with Transport for London in relation to the £300 million regeneration of Landmark Court – The Liberty of Southwark. The scheme focuses on office and retail space, underpinned by residential.