Ranked as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 since 2016, Paul has been a property litigator specialising in commercial property dispute resolution for over 18 years. Paul also has a wealth of experience in advising on arbitrations, expert determinations and in resolving disputes by mediation.
Paul is experienced in advising on development issues, all aspects of property management, dealing with lease renewals (particularly those involving opposition on redevelopment grounds), break notices (including complex conditional break options), easements, rent reviews, restrictive covenants, rights of light, dilapidations and service charge disputes. He has advised in a number of leading cases, including several high profile anti-trespass and protestor matters.
Paul has acted for a diverse range of clients, which include major developers, housebuilders, corporates, funds, public and private sector landlords and a number of well-known high street retailers. He has particular experience and specialism in development related disputes and retail property matters.
He is described as "excellent for legal and commercial advice", "incredibly knowledgeable and proactive" (Legal 500 2017/2018) and as "a good man to have in a crisis" (Chambers & Partners 2017).
- Acting for Skelmersdale Limited Partnership in R (Skelmersdale Limited Partnership) v West Lancashire Borough Council and another  EWHC 109 (Admin) in applying for judicial review to quash a decision to grant planning permission for a new retail led development in Skelmersdale. The claim involved the enforceability of a planning condition and issues under the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Acting for Manchester Ship Canal Developments Limited and IGas in Manchester Ship Canal Developments v Persons unknown  EWHC 645 (Ch) securing possession in a high profile trespass action by environmental protestors which made national headlines, involving complex title issues and arguments under article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- Acting for Ballymore in Cordoba Holdings Limited v Ballymore Properties Limited  All ER (D) 114 (Jul) in successfully resisting a tenant's High Court challenge to an Arbitrator's Award in a high value rent review claim
- Acting for E.ON UK plc in E.ON UK plc and another v Persons Unknown  All ER (D) 427 (Jun) in successfully obtaining an anti-trespass injunction to prevent trespass by environmental protestors at Kingsnorth Power Station. Subsequently an injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 was obtained to protect employees at key operational sites
- Acting for Westbury in Rennie v Westbury Homes (Holdings) Limited  EWHC 164 (Ch) an option dispute where the owner of land asserted that Westbury's former solicitors had not served a valid notice to extend the option. The court held that Westbury had served a valid notice and so preserved a very significant commercial discount under the terms of the option
- Acting for an institutional investor and a FTSE 250 food retailer and distributor in high value (£1m plus) dilapidations claims involving complex issues under s18(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 and issues relating to reinstatement/contamination
- Acting for major corporates, funds, public and private sector landlords and a number of well-known high street retailers in contested and uncontested lease renewal proceedings, and general property management issues arising out of their portfolios.