Reena Patel is a London-based partner in the real estate investment and development team. She has over 20 years' experience in dealing with commercial and mixed use real estate acquisitions, forward funding arrangements, and the 'full asset life-cycle' of a development. This can run right through from site assembly/acquisition, legal structuring, estate management set up, development issues, leasing and asset management, to disposal.
Reena has a strong track record acting on retail, shopping centre, office/residential/mixed use assets and alternatives such as student accommodation, build to rent, senior living and hotels.
Reena is known for her pragmatism, commitment and energy in helping her clients to navigate their way through often complex arrangements and structures by making things as simple as possible, narrowing down the issues and getting to the point, giving clear advice and project managing any deal to a swift conclusion. Reena does not sit on the fence with her advice and works hard to anticipate issues for her clients before they become problems.
Speed in completing real estate transactions is often critical. By focusing on the main issues and working tirelessly with the parties to resolve them, Reena is able to work to tight deadlines and meet her clients' strategic needs. More recently, Reena has been working with her clients to develop augmented AI solutions to deliver the more process driven aspects of our service efficiently and cost effectively.
Reena's key client relationships are with LaSalle Investment Management, BAE Systems Pension Funds, intu Properties, Derwent London, Taylor Wimpey, Urban & Civic and Empiric Student Property. Reena has also been working with investors from the Middle East. For Reena, the biggest highlight of her job is her interaction with these clients and what she learns from them by becoming an extension of their team.
By immersing herself in the property industry and putting herself in her client's shoes, Reena adds real value to a client's business. She thinks about their needs and makes useful introductions to other contacts and clients helping her clients to overcome their challenges and achieve their goals. Clients have commented that "She's not like other lawyers. She gets it." (Listed UK property developer); and "I'd rather have her on my side in any negotiation." (Central London focused Listed REIT).
Reena is a member and active participant of various industry bodies including REVO and London First. She regularly attends their events and MIPIM.
- Working with LaSalle Investment Management for BAE Systems Pension Funds Trustees on its UK acquisitions, disposals and asset management of retail, office, leisure, operational sites, student accommodation, hotel, senior living and healthcare property portfolio. Highlights include advising the pension fund on its acquisition of a portfolio of senior living accommodation and leaseback to an operator; forward purchase of supported living and student accommodation portfolios; indirect acquisition of a shopping centre in Hounslow through a Dutch SPV and a significant office investment acquisition in Cardiff through a Luxembourg SPV.
- Acting for Derwent London plc on its redevelopment of the former Queens Cinema in Bayswater for residential and retail use, and the redevelopment of 73 Charlotte Street for residential and office use. Reena advised on the ownership structuring, estate management strategy, implementation of the agreed structure. She also dealt with the site set up documentation, sale of the residential units and letting of the commercial units and the sale of the freehold on both schemes.
- Working with Intu plc in connection with intu Milton Keynes, intu Victoria Centre and intu Broadmarsh. Reena leads the team dealing with all aspects of leasing and asset management, redevelopment and pre-lets. Reena is currently working on the £1bn redevelopment of intu Broadmarsh and the phased redevelopment of parts of intu Milton Keynes.
- Advising Taylor Wimpey Central on the structuring, letting and sale of its mixed use schemes at Palace View, Lambeth and Westminster Quarter.
- Helping Empiric Student Property plc to build its student accommodation portfolio to in excess of £890m by acquiring investments and forward funded development acquisitions.
- Working with Urban & Civic plc (and Terrace Hill plc formerly) for over 15 years on their industrial, warehousing and mixed use Central London developments and more recently the acquisition from Manchester Airports Group of land at Stansted Airport, the development and financing for a Hampton by Hilton Hotel and sale to L&G.