Richard Bate is a specialist and leading practitioner in the arena of residential development with over 25 years of experience. He helps clients to acquire and dispose of all manner of residential and mixed-use development schemes, in particular large-scale consortium developments and strategic land in all forms, regardless of diversity or complexity. Richard's team also helps clients to secure all planning and infrastructure agreements required to implement these developments.
He is at the forefront of the latest developments in the house-building sector, which allows him to guide his clients to win, implement and maximise the profit from the most complex and demanding development opportunities.
His working life is dominated by helping people to work together collaboratively in their common interest. Many of the schemes brought to him require sensitive negotiations between consortia of land owners and developers, and he strives to find a balance in which parties on all sides get something out of the deal. This is important given the duration, complexity and size of his typical caseload.
He also uses his team – which is at the cutting edge of the industry - to deliver market leading solutions at cost-effective prices to our clients, tailored carefully to the demands of each situation.
In addition to serving developer clients, he is responsible for leading the whole firm's real estate practice which now turns over well in excess of £80m annually and for developing that business both nationally and internationally.
Richard acts for many of the UK's leading housebuilders, including: Miller Homes, Taylor Wimpey, Grainger plc, Gleeson Developments, Thakeham Homes, Persimmon, Charterhouse, CALA and various Legal & General Homes entities.
Recommended by both Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK:
"Richard is an absolute star at what he does."
Chambers UK, 2021
"Stands out for his knowledge in strategic land site assembly work, consortium transactions and equalisation issues."
Legal 500, 2021
- Created network of new form of interlocking strategic land agreements for Thakeham Homes to support UK's first zero-carbon community near Shepreth (South Cambridgeshire) with plans for 25,000 zero-carbon homes which include 10,000 affordable homes and biodiversity net gain of at least 20 per cent;
- Advised client on a consortium development in south west England comprising 6,000 homes, commercial development and a multi-modal transport interchange;
- Advised Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon on a huge acquisition of the Pelham Homes portfolio of sites at Ashford in the south of England;
- Acted for The Miller Group on its £264 million acquisition of Fairclough Homes from Centex Corporation;
- Guided a range of land owners and developers through a prospective 10,000-home consortium development in the south east, including mixed-use and all associated planning and infrastructure agreements.