Wei Kiat Sun
Wei Kiat Sun is a partner in Gowling WLG's Vancouver office and a member of the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. He focuses his practice on commercial litigation, business risk management and insurance defence.
Wei Kiat takes pride in learning about clients' businesses and works hard to become a valued adviser. No matter the challenge, he never loses sight of his clients' long-term objectives when pre-empting or resolving problems on their behalf.
His approach pairs robust representation in immediate disputes with ongoing strategic advice on the protection of business interests – whether that be the maintenance of a good public image, remediating business relationships or setting legal precedents.
Over the course of his career, Wei Kiat has represented clients in a variety of industries, including insurance companies, property developers, architects, engineering firms, contractors, manufacturers, designers, technology companies, restaurants, agricultural businesses and societies. He has a particular interest in the construction and transportation industry, where he advises infrastructure and institutional entities – along with design professionals working within this industry – on complex issues with respect to claims and risks.
Since being called to the Bar, Wei Kiat has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia. His broad range of experience includes:
- Shareholder and partner disputes, including shareholder oppression and unfair prejudice claims
- Contractual claims, particularly property and business/asset purchases
- Product liability
- Estate litigation
- Non-competition and non-solicitation covenant enforcement
- Property development and construction disputes
- Director and officer liabilities, including fraud committed against companies
- Claims for property damage or personal injury, including fire losses and insurance coverage claims
- Debtor/creditor disputes
- Protecting client assets from being frozen and seized
- Defending and prosecuting class action claims
- Advising on strategic business planning, including in the areas of real estate, corporate structure, property development and leasing
Wei Kiat is fluent in English and conversational in Teochew.