We give clients clear, comprehensive pensions support, delivered efficiently and cost-effectively, thanks to our team's in-depth understanding and experience of the public sector.
We're one of very few law firms offering a dedicated sector-focused pensions practice. The seven-strong team, led by partner Paul Carberry, advises local authorities, NHS bodies, contractors, central government, housing associations and charities on all aspects of public sector pensions law.
The overlap of specialisms and sector experience of the wider Pensions team provides us with a unique depth and breadth of expertise. We're not learning on the job and typically we will have seen an issue before. This means clients can be confident we will provide innovative solutions, with all angles considered, as well as value for money.
Our clients include the London Borough of Croydon, NHS Midlands and East, Care UK, Amey PLC, the Isle of Man Government, Sanctuary Housing Association and Sense.
We help our clients by:
- advising on the requirements of New Fair Deal, enabling those involved with commissioning or bidding for services to understand the new obligations and associated cost and risks
- guiding them through applications for 'New Fair Deal Directions' to participate in the NHS Pension Scheme as well as the complex and potentially costly area of second generation transfers from an incumbent provider's broadly comparable pension scheme back to the NHS Pension Scheme
- equipping those with broadly comparable schemes with future options and strategies for bringing members back into the appropriate public sector pension scheme mid-contract
- drawing on our extensive experience of advising on governance of pension schemes to assist administering authorities in meeting the new governance requirements placed on them
- drafting policies, advising on and managing disputes connected with ill-health early retirement from the Local Government Pension Scheme
- reviewing investment management agreements and hedge fund documents for administering authorities on investment re-organisations
- advising administering authorities in relation to employers in their fund and admission bodies directly on strategies for managing an exit from the Local Government Pension Scheme
Results for clients
Paul led our team that worked with the Isle of Man Government to help design, deliver and draft the Rules for the new Unified Scheme for 10,000 public servants on the Island, replacing 15 of the island's existing public service pension arrangements.
The Unified Scheme was awarded "Public Sector Pension Scheme of the Year", recognising the team's commitment, dedication and first-rate technical expertise.
Preparing clients for change
The public sector pensions landscape is undergoing a period of radical change. From New Fair Deal (and its implications for outsourcing bodies and contractors alike) to the introduction of the CARE based public service schemes, our experts are well placed to help clients keep up-to-date with these changes and to prepare and respond accordingly.
National LGPS Framework for legal services
Our public sector credentials are affirmed an appointment to the national legal services procurement framework for Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) Funds.
LGPS Funds can use the Framework to procure legal services matched to their own specific requirements on pre-agreed terms and conditions. From smaller or one-off pieces of advice of work to longer term, single supplier arrangements.
Following a rigorous competitive tender process, we were appointed to the framework's full-service, investment and benefit administration panels. We can provide specialist advice to LGPS Funds on benefit issues, disputes, investment, governance, outsourcings, admission agreements, funding and employer debt.
We are also appointed as a provider of legal services under the Buying Solutions Framework Agreement.