Gowling WLG is pleased to share that the County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA)’s newly renovated library has been re-named the Gordon F. Henderson Library in honour of the firm’s former chairman and partner.
A preeminent intellectual property lawyer who joined the Ottawa law firm of Henderson Herridge & Gowling (now Gowling WLG) in 1937, Henderson rose to become one of the firm’s most influential figures. He is fondly remembered for his love of learning and the law, as well as for his philanthropic work and community leadership.
Henderson was a prolific advocate who appeared in more than 400 reported court cases, 90 of those before the Supreme Court of Canada. He established the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) and the highly regarded Canadian Patent Reporter – serving as editor of the latter for 52 years.
Having also played a key role in the formation of SOCAN, Canada’s copyright collective, Henderson acted as its lawyer and then as its chairman. He was chancellor of the University of Ottawa from 1991 until his death in 1993.
Henderson was named a Companion of the Order of Canada – the country’s highest civilian honour – for his decades of service to his community and profession.
“Gordon Henderson’s positive influence as a leading lawyer and vital community member continues to inspire us,” says Wayne Warren, managing partner of Gowling WLG’s Ottawa office. “We are delighted that the library has been named after him.”
The CCLA was founded in 1888 and is now the second-largest law association in Ontario. Its library, located inside Ottawa’s Elgin Street courthouse, is a vital research hub for the local legal community. Gowling WLG has been a steady supporter of the CCLA and its fundraising campaigns over the years.
With more than 1,400 legal professionals in 19 cities worldwide, Gowling WLG provides clients with in-depth expertise in key global sectors and a suite of legal services in Canada and abroad.