Kam has over 15 years of experience providing regulatory and transactional advice to asset managers, banks, building societies, broker dealers, insurers, pension schemes, AIM and FTSE listed companies, global tech companies, and venture capital and fintech firms.
This includes advising on the interpretation and application of complex UK and EU financial regulations, including FSMA, AIFMD, MiFID, PRIPPS, MAR, SFDR/ Taxonomy, EMIR, PSD and EMR, and advising on the regulatory aspects of product development, fund structuring, capital raising, corporate transactions, change of control notifications and responses to FCA and PRA enquiries. Kam also has a keen interest and knowledge in the emerging areas of sustainable finance/ ESG, AI, crypto/ digital assets, and regulatory divergence in the financial services industry following Brexit. Kam is passionate about helping clients navigate the complex and dynamic regulatory environment, and delivering practical and commercial solutions that align with their business objectives and values.
Kam recently completed a secondment in the payments legal team at Amazon, where she supported the launch and operation of various payment products and services across the UK and EU markets. This experience enhanced her understanding of the fintech landscape and the challenges and opportunities for innovation and collaboration in this sector. Prior to joining Gowling WLG, Kam worked in the credit legal team at Barclays Wealth, where she advised on domestic and cross border credit transactions, product development and strategic bank-wide projects affecting the business.
Recent experience includes advising on:
- the structure, regulation, management, governance and distribution of investment funds
- regulatory issues arising on joint ventures, co-investments, and strategic partnerships
- the temporary permissions regime and getting FCA authorised
- financial promotions, marketing and reverse solicitation
- all aspects of the market abuse regime
- innovative online credit arrangements, including 'buy now, pay later'
- P2P loan based crowdfunding platforms
- licencing and operational matters for payment services and e-money firms
- outsourcing arrangements and operational resilience
- reporting and disclosure obligations under UK and EU legislation
Kam is a member of several working groups for the pensions and alternative investments industry, and has commented in the media, and written articles, on various aspects of her practice. Recent publications focus on AI, the Consumer Duty, Operational Resilience, the SMCR, Governance, Systems and Controls for Insurers, and Pre-Marketing, Marketing, and Reverse Solicitation under AIFMD.
Kam is recognised as a 'Rising Star' for Financial Services - Non-Contentious Regulatory in Legal 500, 2023 and 2024.
Kam is passionate about diversity and inclusion, and co-chairs the firm's Thrive Network.