Kate Swaine is a partner and Co-head of Intellectual Property, Global. She is also a member of the firm's China Management Team that oversees the operations of its China offices. Kate is an experienced litigator and works with her clients on both domestic and international intellectual property (IP) portfolios. Kate is an expert in managing global enforcement programs and co-ordinates work in over 50 countries.
An expert in all aspects of brands and designs, Kate works alongside her clients to ensure they use their intellectual property effectively and commercially to add to the value and reputation of their businesses - whether that's through the clearance of new products and concepts, training design and marketing teams, developing an intellectual property exploitation strategy, or successfully enforcing rights against infringers around the world. She ensures her clients have what they need to achieve the maximum benefit to their business.
Kate is listed as a Leading Lawyer by Legal 500 and recognised in Expert Guides: Women in Business Law 2022. Kate is also recognised as a "trade mark star" in Managing IP's IP Stars Guide 2022 and is recognised as one of the world's leading trade mark professionals in WTR 1000 2022.
"Kate is fabulous! "She has a very international outlook and is very hands-on, with a lot of knowledge under the bonnet, and is always ahead of new developments. She has an in-depth understanding of her clients' businesses and provides valuable commercial advice as a result." WTR 1000 2022
"First-rate. A true expert in IP with a commercial edge. She is pragmatic and deals with issues quickly and efficiently. She offers the innovative, solution-focussed thinking that I value as an in-house lawyer."
IP STARS 2018 edition, Managing Intellectual Property
"A leader in high-end IP work who knows what the emerging issues are. Kate's responses are always swift and helpful."
"Kate Swaine is the best – a real leader of the international IP group at Gowling."
Legal 500 2022
Kate is an active member of CITMA and a member of INTA's Emerging Issues Committee. She is also a member of Marques, the European Brand Owners organisation, and its IP Emerging Issues Team.
- Leading a global team advising Farfetch on IP issues.
- Leading the Gowling WLG Brand Enforcement team for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Operating a global hub for Dyson Technology, managing the enforcement of its IP rights in the Dyson Bladeless fan range in over 40 countries.
- Working with Baker Tilly International on global brand and licensing work.
- Advising Kingspan on IP enforcement and clearance, including trademark infringement proceedings, advertising clearance and a comparative advertising.
- Leading a team supporting Aston Martin Lagonda on the enforcement of its intellectual property.
- Advising Weetabix on all aspects of its global trademark portfolio protection and enforcement.
- Working with Baylis & Harding Plc on the enforcement and protection of its brand portfolio.
- Advising All Saints on all aspects of IP clearance and enforcement.
- Acting for Major League Baseball in the enforcement of its UK trade marks.
- Advising Pandora on IP protection and enforcement.
Kate has also worked on a number of significant Government projects including advising on branding guidelines and strategy, on the use and ownership of IP by Government bodies and on rebranding projects for public services.