Samuel R Beighton
Recognised and recommended as a "Next Generation Partner" for EU and Competition law (Legal 500 UK), Samuel works closely with clients to grow and protect their businesses.
He advises upon all aspects of UK and EU competition law, including EU and UK merger control, anti-competitive conduct, dawn raids and competition law investigations, distribution and e-commerce, the intersection of competition law and IP rights, litigation, and State aid.
Samuel regularly represents clients before competition authorities, and has advised businesses active in sectors including automotive, construction, energy, food and drink, healthcare, life sciences, luxury brands, retail, and technology. He also advises government departments, and public sector bodies.
With a background in competition law economics, Samuel speaks and writes on developments in UK and EU competition law, and has contributed to a range of international publications, including Sweet & Maxwell's "Merger Control" series, and Thomson Reuters' "Private Antitrust Litigation" series.
- Advising a leading supplier of construction materials on two separate acquisitions of competitors, including securing merger clearances in the UK.
- Advising a renewable energy provider on a planned joint venture with competitors, including securing merger clearance in the EU.
- Advising Origin Enterprises plc and its group on a number of separate acquisitions of competitors, including securing merger clearances in the UK.
- Advising The Estée Lauder Companies, Inc. on a number of separate acquisitions of competitors.
- Advising a leading provider of diagnostic testing on a number of separate acquisitions of competitors, including securing merger clearances in Brazil, Germany, Portugal, and South Korea.
Dawn raids and competition investigations
- Advising parties investigated by competition authorities in the UK in sectors including construction, energy, manufacturing, retail, and technology.
- Advising parties upon applying for leniency.
Distribution and e-commerce
- Advising brand owners on the organisation of their sales and aftersales networks, including addressing issues in relation to e-commerce and online sales.
- Advising a technology owner and participant in standardisation efforts on EU competition law issues arising in the context of licensing patents declared essential to voluntary standards, including defending a complaint made to the European Commission alleging various abuses of a dominant position.
- Advising a biosimilar company on patent-related breaches of EU competition law by a major pharmaceutical company, including making a complaint to the European Commission.
- Advising a range of technology owners on EU competition law issues arising in the context of agreements to settle litigation.
- Advising technology owners on defending allegations of competition law infringement in the context of patent litigation brought before the High Court of England and Wales.
- Advising a major supplier on defending actions for damages brought by customers before the High Court of England and Wales, following on from a European Commission decision finding an infringement of EU competition law.
- Advising a government department on State aid issues arising in the context of the planned award of a major long-term contract (contract value exceeding £1 billion).
- Advising a government body responsible for regional transport on State aid issues arising from a planned commercial venture.
- Advising a major developer on State aid issues arising from the planned receipt of funding by a city council.