Pennsylvania RBR Project reaches financial close

2 minute read
01 March 2015

On March 18, 2015, the Pennsylvania Rapid Bridge Replacement Project reached financial close. This US$899 million project is the state’s first public-private partnership and the first public-private partnership to bundle multiple bridges in a single procurement in the US.

Plenary Walsh Keystone Partners LLC will design, build, finance and maintain (“DBFM”) 558 structurally deficient bridges across the state. The project is 80% owned by Plenary Penn Bridges Ltd. which is ultimately owned by Plenary Group (Canada) Ltd. and 20% by WI Penn Bridges L.P., which is ultimately owned by members of the Walsh family.

The project is being financed through the sale of in excess of US$720 million in Tax-Exempt Private Activity Revenue Bonds and approximately US$71million in equity. Plenary Group will invest 80% of the equity required and Walsh Group will invest the remaining 20%.

The firm was BC counsel to Plenary with respect to the implementation of a series of corporate and partnership vehicles in connection with both its equity investment and the related bond offering with a team that included Peter Fairey and Matt Mitchell.


NOT LEGAL ADVICE. Information made available on this website in any form is for information purposes only. It is not, and should not be taken as, legal advice. You should not rely on, or take or fail to take any action based upon this information. Never disregard professional legal advice or delay in seeking legal advice because of something you have read on this website. Gowling WLG professionals will be pleased to discuss resolutions to specific legal concerns you may have.