While every company has its challenges, the hurdles that cannabis businesses face are particularly complex. Indeed, as the regulatory and commercial frameworks shaping the global cannabis sector continue to crystallize, significant business risk inheres in every new opportunity.
Expertise in Cannabis Law
At Gowling WLG, we help a wide range of cannabis industry participants manage such risk and find success across a number of fronts. We also work closely with entities from other sectors that are looking to leverage the growth opportunities presented by cannabis.
No matter the challenge, our team has the first-hand industry experience, far-reaching global platform and comprehensive service offering to help you advance in this dynamic space. Some of our areas of expertise include:
Making sense of cannabis regulation
Our professionals can help you navigate the emergent legislative and regulatory frameworks that govern cannabis from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Our expertise also encompasses cannabidiol (CBD) and related products. From nuanced consumer protection issues to municipal real estate zoning bi-laws, we ensure you have the knowledge and resources needed to anticipate obstacles and scale your business with confidence.
Helping you grow
We have comprehensive experience leading issuers, investment dealers and strategic investors through multi-faceted corporate finance and M&A transactions. Our work has resulted in the listing of a number of private cannabis companies - through initial public offerings, reverse take-over/qualifying transactions, private and public mergers and acquisitions, or debt and equity financing transactions.
Excellent standing in the life sciences industry. Chambers UK
What separates them is their understanding of us and ability to put things into our context. They've been very good at translating complex legal issues into language that our organisation can understand. Chambers Canada
We have experience working with businesses in the cannabis and CBD industries across a wide range of practice areas. We are able to provide our clients with a deep understanding of this area of the law to ensure their success.
Recent projects and experience
- Counsel to Canopy Growth Corporation, one of the world's largest cannabis companies, on planning, real estate (including leasing), construction, environmental and IP matters associated with the production, storage and distribution of cannabis in Canada.
- Counsel to Phivida Holdings Inc., a premier brand of CBD-infused products listed on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- Counsel to MPX Bioceutical Corporation in $30-million financing. MPX, through its wholly owned subsidiaries in the US, provides a range of services to two medicinal cannabis enterprises in Arizona.
- Counsel to Khiron Life Sciences Corp., a Colombian medical marijuana company, in its going public transaction on the TSX Venture Exchange.
- Advising The Green Organic Dutchman on construction contracts for a cannabis hydroponics plant.
- Counsel to Molson Coors Canada, advising on the creation of a joint venture with HEXO Corp. called Truss Limited Partnership. The venture will pursue opportunities to develop non-alcoholic, cannabis-infused beverages for the Canadian market.
- Counsel to Cannabis One Holdings Inc. in connection with its RTO transaction on the Canadian Securities Exchange. The project resulted in the client becoming a multi-state dispensary operator and aggregator of popular cannabis brands throughout North America.
- Counsel to GW Pharma, the global leader in developing cannabinoid based medicines.
- Counsel to Cenkos Securities on English cannabis regulatory advice.
- Counsel to a global investment bank on English cannabis regulatory advice.
- Counsel to an investment bank on the IPO on the Standard List of the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange plc of a cannabinoid-based pharma company.
Meet the team and grow your business
Contact any member of our team to find out more about how can help you succeed in the cannabis industry.
Contact the team
Lewis is a partner in Gowling WLG's Ottawa office, practising primarily in the area of corporate commercial and regulatory law. His practice focuses on regulatory and commercial issues relating to the commercialisation of products. Lewis is Co-Leader of the National Cannabis Group for Gowling WLG in Canada.
Samantha Myers is a director in the UK Corporate Group, specialising in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and equity capital markets. Samantha has extensive experience of acting for companies, or their advisers, on IPOs and secondary transactions. She regularly advises on a range of domestic and cross border M&A transactions, including public takeovers. Samantha leads the UK Cannabis Group.
Peter is an experienced corporate commercial and securities lawyer. As a partner in Gowling WLG's Toronto office, Peter focuses his practice on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and structured products. Working closely with issuers, underwriters, and other corporate clients, Peter delivers practical, effective advice to help businesses move their transactions forward. He is Co-Leader of the National Cannabis Group for Gowling WLG in Canada.