Our extensive UK and international client base includes governments and regulators, project developers, financial institutions, generators (nuclear, renewables and conventional), storage developers, network owners and operators, energy suppliers and traders and the energy supply chain. We advise organisations ranging from start-ups to major international utilities. Advice on natural resources and mining matters is provided by our dedicated natural resources team.
We have been at the forefront of many major developments in the sector, including major energy projects, financings and mergers and acquisitions, the development of legislation and new regulatory regimes and disputes resulting in the creation of new law.
Our clients receive advice from lawyers who combine first-class legal knowledge with a deep understanding of the complexities of the energy sector. Whether we are advising on major energy transactions or projects, the deployment of new technology, the introduction of market and regulatory reforms or energy related disputes, they receive innovative, pragmatic, commercial and robust legal advice informed by our wide-ranging and comprehensive sector knowledge.
In August 2016, our energy team was ranked by The Lawyer in its European Renewables Elite report as one of its Top 10 legal advisors to European M&A deals, measured by number of deals done.
Clients engage us in the UK and internationally on matters including:
- Project development (generation, transmission, distribution and storage)
- Project and structured finance
- Construction, equipment supply and O&M
- Capital markets advice (including equity and debt), mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and IPOs
- Energy purchasing, supply and trading arrangements
- Government advisory and market reform (including policy development)
- Energy regulation (including licence and Code drafting, interpretation and enforcement)
- Real estate, planning and environmental
- Dispute resolution
Examples of our recent work include:
- Counsel to a German developer in relation to the operation of a portfolio of eight solar parks (with a generating capacity of 56 MW), the refinancing of the portfolio through the listing of bonds on the Professional Securities Market of the London Stock Exchange and the sale of the portfolio to a listed German wind and solar developer
- Adviser to a variety offshore infrastructure developers owners (generation and networks) on project development, acquisitions and divestitures, financings and commercial contracts relating to the ownership and operation of that infrastructure - including construction contracts, operation and maintenance agreements crossing agreements and interface agreements
- Adviser to Primrose Solar who were established in 2013. We have advised them on the sale, purchase and financing of over 400MW. In addition we have advised on structuring, commercial energy, regulation, grid, construction, real estate and planning and disputes matters
- Advising E.ON Climate & Renewables in the High Court and Court of Appeal in relation to a multi-million pound dispute with its contractor arising from issues arising from grouted connection works at the foundations for E.ON's Robin Rigg offshore windfarm
- Adviser to an investor in a social enterprise company, which issued an unlisted bond to the investor allowing the company to acquire roof top solar panels on social housing properties owned by a housing association, and for the company to use the 20 years of government solar subsidy income through the feed-in tariff to finance the bond repayments
- Adviser to major energy companies as offtakers under long term power purchase agreements from projects including biomass, offshore wind, onshore wind and solar projects
- Counsel to the Development Bank of South Africa, the South African National Treasury and the South African Department of Energy on the development of the country's base- and mid-load IPP programme across four technologies: cogeneration, coal, gas and hydro