Christopher M. Andree
Christopher Andree is a partner at Gowling WLG and past co-leader of the firm's Employment, Labour & Equalities Group.
Chris helps his clients manage their people and achieve their business goals. He brings his clients over 20 years of knowledge and experience, combined with creativity and a focus on practical solutions. His reputation for providing exceptional service is reinforced by his clients' praise for his timely, strategic and proactive advice.
Chris works alongside his clients as a trusted adviser, focused on minimizing risks and maximizing opportunities. His dedication to building strong and lasting relationships with clients allows him to deliver real value for money. They know he genuinely cares about their success, and repeatedly trust his decisive counsel.
His clients include owner-managed businesses and multinational organizations. They are active in many sectors of the economy, including:
- Food, beverage and recreation
- Health care
- Professional services
- Temporary employment
Chris focuses his practice in the area of employment law and equalities (human rights), and represents employers in all aspects of their relationships with their employees.
- Written employment agreements
- Managing absenteeism
- Development and implementation of workplace policies
- Workplace dispute resolution (litigation and mediation)
- Human rights issues (e.g. disability accommodation)
- Executive compensation
- Independent contractor agreements and employment status issues
- Performance management
- Pre-termination advice and strategy
- Restrictive covenants (fiduciary duty, confidentiality, non-competition and non-solicitation obligations)
- M&A/ reorganization strategies
- Wrongful dismissal
Chris represents clients before many courts and administrative tribunals, such as:
- Court of Appeal for Ontario
- Ontario Divisional Court
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Ontario Labour Relations Board
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal
Ranked by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for his expertise in the area of Employment Law (Employer), Chris is highly respected by human resources professionals and other employment and labour lawyers. He is consistently invited to speak on a variety of topics, and is sought out by the media to comment on various legal developments.
Outside of his work at the firm, Chris is active in his community in many ways, including as a director on numerous not-for-profit boards, volunteer and coach. He is also an elected trustee of the Waterloo Region Law Association.