David Aylen is an internationally renowned intellectual property lawyer with extensive experience advising foreign nationals on doing business in Russia and the CIS, as well as helping emerging Russian companies establish and protect their IP rights around the world. David is known for providing timely, responsive service and delivering innovative solutions that achieve results - whenever and wherever a problem arises.
As managing partner of the firm's Russia/CIS practice, David is a client's first point of contact to the Russian market. He provides strategic, practical legal advice to help clients understand and access the significant business opportunities available in Russia, as well as overcome any difficulties.
Under David's management, Gowling WLG's Russia/CIS practice brings a Western-style approach to legal issues and is consistently ranked as a top-tier IP practice. From IP litigation, patent and trademark prosecution to licensing, domain names, and advertising and marketing law, David makes sure clients receive the best possible service and results.
Repeatedly recognized as a leading IP lawyer by IAM Patent 1000, Managing Intellectual Property, World Intellectual Property Review and World Trademark Review, some of David's notable client work experience includes:
- Served as lead litigator, successfully representing Uponor, a global manufacturer of plumbing, heating and cooling equipment, in a key patent infringement case in Calgary, Alberta.
- Successfully acted for Jaguar in a 3D trademark appeal case with far-reaching implications for the automobile industry as a whole.
- Blocked a third party from securing an international trademark registration in the Ukraine, successfully preventing the client's competitor from marketing an automotive product that was ruled a counterfeit or grey market good.
- Secured the right to register a brand design for Pernod Ricard, one of the world's largest manufacturers of sparkling wine. Successfully argued an appeal to the Russian patent office, facilitating protection of the client's design in an important win for brand ownership and a rare victory against Rospatent, the state's intellectual property office.
- Spearheaded a strategy for a massive legal campaign on behalf of one of the world's largest multi-business companies after a competing firm applied to use a similar corporate name. Led a highly successful strategic planning effort that covered 16 different countries, leading to a successful result and settling the case in multiple international jurisdictions.
- Advised a renowned energy drink producer on a potential trademark conflict in Russia connected with a new product to be launched by a competing organization. Currently working on obtaining trademark status for the firm's brand design.
- Led a successful action in Canada at the Federal Court of Appeal level for his client Dimplex when he served as Counsel on a patent matter on electric fireplace technology.
- Served as Co-counsel in the well-known "patent diaper wars" between Kimberly-Clark and Procter & Gamble.
- Acted as Co-counsel in the "telecommunications wars" in Canada and the United States between AT&T, MCI and others on the subject of the pioneer patents for 800 and calling card services.
Having practised in Canada for many years, David is certified as an IP specialist (trademarks, patents and copyright) by the Law Society of Ontario. He is a registered notary public.