Todd J. Burke
Todd Burke practises in the areas of complex commercial litigation, insurance defence, professional liability and crisis management. He also provides clients with risk and crisis management advice.
With over 25 years in practice, Todd has represented national and international clients in a number of sectors, including manufacturing, finance, technology, transportation, health and nuclear energy.
In civil and arbitration mandates, he delivers effective representation, proven value and excellent client service. In a 2018 trade secret case, the judge commented that an expert “was largely destroyed” based on Todd’s cross-examination. Recent mandates have focused on shareholder disputes, oppression claims, real estate disputes, software implementation, environmental contamination, construction disputes, professional negligence and disciplinary proceedings before various professional colleges.
Todd also has extensive experience in domestic and international arbitration, cross-border issues and in obtaining injunctions.
In 2018, Todd was the winner of the Client Choice Award for Litigation in Ontario. Comments made by his clients at that time demonstrate Todd’s commitment to client service:
- “He is a ‘go to’ lawyer for litigation matters in North America.”
- “Todd’s industry knowledge is second to none; he delivers exceptional legal expertise and experience in an engaging and insightful manner that resonates with his clients.”
- “Todd is knowledgeable, prompt, responsive, congenial and entirely transparent in the provision of legal services.”
- “His advice is balanced; his knowledge of the law and how it applies in any given dispute is exceptional.”
- “He is not interested in pursuing litigation for litigation’s sake; he helps his clients find a solution to their legal problems.”
In addition, Todd has been top ranked in Lexpert, Best Lawyers in Canada and Benchmark Litigation.
Given his broad experience, Todd is available to act as an arbitrator on cases in the commercial, insurance and professional liability fields.
As part of his practice, Todd is a frequent lecturer on crisis management. He also has a special interest in the risks created by artificial intelligence (AI) and has given numerous presentations, as well as written articles on this topic. His most recent article published is entitled “Emerging legal issues in an AI-driven world.”
Todd leads the Ottawa Commercial Litigation Group and is co-leader of the firm’s Lloyds of London Client Service Team. In the past, Todd has led the national Commercial Litigation Group, the firm’s US Initiative and was the lead trustee of the firm’s Canadian Board of Trustees.