In a global marketplace, disputes are increasingly international affairs. Our international arbitration team can advise you on suitable dispute resolution procedures for cross-border contracts, and on resolving disputes when they arise
International arbitration offers a number of potential benefits to commercial parties. These include a greater degree of choice and control over how a dispute is managed (when compared to litigation in national courts), greater relevant expertise of the tribunal, the confidentiality that comes with arbitration, and the potential for easier recognition and enforcement of awards.
International arbitration is a key part of our global dispute resolution offering, and our team is well placed to guide you through the process, from drafting your dispute resolution provisions to conducting any resulting arbitration.
The team comprises lawyers in the UK, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Canada, with international arbitration experts situated in the major arbitration centres of London, Paris, Dubai and Singapore. Members of the team have extensive experience of arbitrations across the globe (including, in particular, Calgary, Dubai, Geneva, Hong Kong, London, Moscow, Paris, Singapore and Toronto)
We have represented clients in a wide range of institutional arbitrations under the rules of all of the major international arbitration bodies including ICC, LCIA, ICSID, SIAC, CIETAC, HKIAC, ICDR, AAA and the SCC, as well as in ad hoc disputes including under the UNCITRAL rules.
Regardless of the type of dispute, we will provide you with a consistent level of service that matches the unique needs of your business. We have resolved complex international and domestic arbitrations in the following areas:
- Aviation, aerospace and defence
- Banking and finance
- Construction and engineering
- Information technology
- Intellectual property
- Investor state disputes
- Life sciences
- Oil and gas
- Mining and environment
- Natural Resources
The team's clients include major construction contractors, energy companies, clients in the technology and aerospace industries, and national governments. Recent highlights of our team members include:
- Acting for a Middle Eastern oil and gas company in ad hoc arbitration proceedings claiming multi-billion dollar damages against a national oil company in relation to its total failure to supply pursuant to a long-term gas supply agreement.
- Acting for the Republic of Albania in two ICSID arbitrations pursuant to the Energy Charter Treaty and the Italy-Albania BIT relating to the alleged expropriation of a hydroelectric plant, a waste management project and a television station, as well as in two related ICC arbitration pursuant to a BOT Concession Agreement relating to the construction of a hydroelectric plant, with total claims exceeding US$1 billion.
- Representing an international engineering contractor in a $100m dispute, arising out of time and monetary overruns arising in connection with the design and construction of an industrial facility in the Middle East.
- Acting for the Respondent on an ICC Arbitration concerning the construction of a Nuclear Power Plant in Northern Europe (€4 billion) and on two separate, connected adjudications.
- Acting for a CIS-based high net worth individual in US$1 billion LCIA dispute against joint venture partners concerning mineral processing and mining assets, and involving the commencement of multiple related arbitrations relating to a complex corporate holding structure, applications to the Cypriot court for statutory relief, and to the US court for section 1782 discovery in support of foreign proceedings.
- Acting for European pipeline gas and Middle Eastern LNG producers in price reviews under long term agreements subject to ICC arbitration.
- Acting for an oil and gas major in a dispute against a national oil company subject to ICC arbitration for clarification of development rights under a North African production sharing contract.
- Acting for numerous Russian and CIS based investors in LCIA arbitrations relating to claims for breaches of warranty under share purchase agreements, and breaches of joint venture and/or shareholder agreements.
- Representing a high-profile international contractor in English High Court proceedings and in an ICC arbitration concerning a contract for work on a landmark energy research institution in Riyadh, for a claim in excess of US$150 million.