Why clients work with us
At Gowling WLG, we have extensive knowledge and understanding of the natural resources industries across the globe as a result of working for many years with clients in these sectors.
Our clients rely on us to provide:
- Robust, pragmatic and innovative advice, taking the lead on those issues that matter most
- Support on achieving their local, national and international business intentions while managing legal risk
- Extensive experience in the subsectors of oil and gas, mining and minerals and water and wastewater projects
By working with you to achieve your objectives we can provide a team of experts who can advise on all stages of a project, from environmental and planning advice to construction and infrastructure, financing (both debt and equity), and commercial arrangements relating to all aspects of the business including exploration, extraction, processing, trade, supply and transportation.
This full range of legal disciplines is provided alongside a specialist regulatory offering - we have advised many governments on resources projects and can offer clients the benefit of that stand-out experience.
In addition we are one of the leading natural resources IPO practices in the UK with a track record in listing natural resource companies on AIM.
To provide you with a cross-border service we have combined expertise from across our international offices with leading local lawyers. This combination ensures clients have access to specialist knowledge in jurisdictions across the globe. In addition to London, our Dubai team in particular boasts significant expertise in natural resources work.
Our natural resources expertise benefits clients in numerous industries, particularly oil and gas, mining and water.
With the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia all projected to experience water shortages, water is rising to the top of the global political agenda.
Specialist sector knowledge is at the core of our advice, advising governments, regulators, utilities and developers on all aspects of water, wastewater and desalination projects and frameworks, from a regulatory perspective in the UK to ground-breaking infrastructure PPP projects in developing countries.
Our team also has unique experience in the waste water sector and many of its members have worked on some of the largest and most successful transactions globally.
- Advising Abengoa Water (and Sojitz Corporation and Marubeni Corporation) on their bid for an IWP in Namibia
- Advising the Ministry of Finance, in partnership with HSBC, in relation to construction and operation of a wastewater treatment plant in Muharraq (on a BOO basis) - PFI Middle East Infrastructure Project of the Year 2011
Our in-depth experience of water projects, acting for government agencies, sponsors and multilateral lenders, is utilised to deliver solutions in nascent PPP markets and help build capacity with governments for the future, whilst ensuring public sector needs are met.