Rapid advances in new technologies have led to a host of unique and unprecedented challenges to protecting innovation. To confidently stake a claim and mitigate long-term risk, organizations need a highly skilled team of legal problem-solvers with extensive patent law experience and a history of successfully protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights.
Gowling WLG's award-winning group of patent agents and patent lawyers have earned a reputation as the go-to team for those seeking ironclad protection for their most valuable innovations.
Working with domestic and international companies, universities, and research institutes, our Canadian team provides expert counsel and effective representation to successfully file, commercialize and enforce patents and industrial designs. In conducting this work, we're committed to being conscientious, responsive, results-driven and, above all, client-focused.
From startups to multinational organizations, our team has an unrivalled reputation for industry insight. Many of our legal professionals hold advanced scientific, medical and engineering degrees, which enables us to provide you with tailored, effective solutions across a broad spectrum of complex technologies.
Through our extensive network of international associates, we regularly co-ordinate and direct the prosecution of patent applications worldwide, and frequently represent leading national and global technology companies before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO).
Our patent expertise covers:
- Drafting and filing patent applications
- Customized strategies for national and international patent prosecution
- Patent portfolio management
- Patent audits
Patent litigation/enforcement (contentious)
- Opinions and counselling (validity, infringement, FTO/market clearance)
- Competition law issues (patent misuse)
- Arbitration and mediation
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Patent disputes
Licensing and transactional
- Patent portfolio management and monetization
- Due diligence
- Patent mining and mapping (landscaping)
- Open source
- Standard essential patents and FRAND
- Licensing and other commercialization strategies
- Negotiating and preparing licenses and agreements
- M&A, purchase/sale, financing and other transactions involving IP assets
Trade secrets and confidential information (NDAs)
Related patent expertise
Gowling WLG offers the right level of experience and expertise to help you realize the full value of your IP. In addition to prosecution and litigation, we can also assist you with strategies for commercialization, portfolio management and more. Our related services include:
- Providing assistance in acquiring, developing, financing, and commercializing innovative technologies
- Advising on tax issues that relate to acquiring or developing a patent
- Strategic patent portfolio management: adjusting the emphasis and expense of portfolio management to match changing priorities within an innovative and evolving organization
- Recognizing strengths and weaknesses in a portfolio, and anticipating threats and opportunities - for example, in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions
Your intellectual property rights are invaluable, and Gowling WLG has the right team to protect, enforce and defend them. To learn more about how we can help you do so, please contact any member of our team.