Given the recent changes to U.S. immigration policy and the low Canadian dollar, many businesses are choosing to relocate all or part of their operations and workforce to Canada. At the same time, international companies are recognizing the strategic advantages of establishing an on-the-ground presence in the Canadian market.
Regardless of your reasons for moving your foreign business and/or employees to Canada, you need to engage a law firm that can help you solve a full range of challenges involved in the relocation process - from immigration and corporate matters to commercial and residential real estate.
Gowling WLG is ready to assist, offering a full suite of relocation-related legal services to help you and your staff get up and running quickly in Canada.
With industry-leading legal expertise, offices in Canada's commercial and tech hubs of Toronto, Waterloo Region, Ottawa, Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver, and strong connections with the service providers you'll need to work with during your transition, Gowling WLG is well-positioned to support your relocation - no matter where you're coming from.
Immigration and employment
You'll need to consider immigration and employment matters well in advance of your desired entry into Canada. Our seasoned lawyers can advise employers, employees and their families on:
- Navigating the Canadian immigration system - from work permit requirements and application package preparation to admissibility rules and business structure considerations
- Following the Canadian scheme for payroll deductions and remittances, health coverage and medical premiums, entitlements and more
- Complying with applicable employment and labour laws, human rights codes, and workers' compensation and occupational health and safety standards
Our team can advise on a full range of real estate matters, including:
- Negotiating commercial leases for all classes of premises, including office, retail, technology development and industrial sites - particularly in the context of data centers, tech companies and their unique requirements
- Assisting employees with the rental or purchase of their new homes through our network of relocation services partners and real estate brokers
- Other essential real estate-related issues, from land acquisition and brownfield redevelopment to project and credit facility financing
Tax and accounting
With tax considerations at the top of the list for any business relocating or sending employees to Canada, we can provide sound advice to help you manage key tasks including, among other things:
- Advising on how to structure a new Canadian operation, taking into account federal and provincial income and sales taxes
- Managing the Canadian taxation of employees relocating to or working in Canada, including the taxation of stock-option compensation
- Assessing the exposure to foreign buyer taxes on residential and industrial real estate
- Linking clients to accounting professionals for assistance with Canadian tax filings
Corporate, financial and business services
From banking and credit to general corporate advice, we can help you establish your Canadian operations quickly by:
- Connecting employers and employees with leading financial institutions to handle business and personal banking needs
- Drafting corporate governance, privacy and other essential policies, with a focus on local legislation
- Preparing model business forms and agreements
Gowling WLG is ready to help you relocate your business and employees to Canada. To learn more, please contact any member of our team.